3.0 | Curse

| Reincarnation |

Tang Man came back with Rui in tow, but before she could step inside the house they temporarily resided in, a shadow appeared pale faced. He did not take long to share the terrible news.

"M-Ms Zui Hou's dead body was found in an alley... by the marketplace..." It was obvious the shadow was fearful and nervous. He also felt sad and pity for the energetic Zui Hou, who he had been training together with and was even made fun of when his crush was found out.

He couldn't believe it.

Tang Man froze, the sounds surrounding her grew quiet as her mind deafened everything else. It was only when she felt Rui's calloused palm stroking her cheek did she blink awake, silent tears over her face. She didn't want to utter a word as the heartache in her chest settled in her throat, she knew she wouldn't be able to control her sadness.

She thought she was used to people dying, even those who were close to her.

Needless to say, the pain was still profound. Was the world really intent on eliminating everyone she cherished in every lifetime? She saved her siblings this time, but she lost Zui Hou in exchange.

"Tang-Tang... shhh, it's okay. We'll definitely find whoever did it. For now, come with me." Rui's voice was so gentle, ignoring everything else but coerced Tang Man to go inside.

She numbly followed, her hand being dragged by Rui. Her small mouth opened and closed, silently chanting Zui Hou's name. A name that had no last name, no family to think of and too young to have died. She silently wished this was all one big lie. A lie pranked by someone, someone who had a dark humor.

Inside their bedroom, she was sat on a soft sofa, cushions all over. Even at this time, Rui was doing his best to accommodate her, rubbing her back to ease her breathing and drying her tears with his silk handkerchief. He was so gentle, silent and empathizing that more tears spilled out of her reddened eyes. Her lips quivered and she felt the searing pain.

"Ah-Rui... She was a really good friend..." Her voice was almost inaudible in between her painful whimper, it was like a knife sliced her chest the moment she finally spoke.

"Yes, Tang-Tang. She was... She really cared for you..." He added, briefly remembering the first time he saw Zui Hou, who tried to protect Tang Man despite how capable the latter was. He smiled sadly at the thought, a pity such a good soul died. Though he felt pity for Zui Hou, he felt more sad seeing his beloved cry and in pain, his heart felt wounded— suffocating, he wished for her tears to stop and for heart to be at rest.

He knew the best way to comfort Tang Man was to be there, to listen to her remember Zui Hou, to mourn for the loved one and provide reassurance that not everyone would disappear from her side. So he kept close despite feeling the heartache at seeing her so sad. If she was sad, he would carry the other half.

"She was a hard working girl... She hadn't even found her other half yet... Haven't seen the whole continent... Ah-Rui... It's painful.. so painful.." She whimpered, reaching out to hug Rui who swiftly took her in his embrace.

He rocked ever so gently, whispering softly into her ears, "She was lucky to have found a friend in you too, Tang-Tang... I'm sure she was happiest surrounded by her friends and doing the things she liked."

As he continued to comfort her with words and his reassuring presence, Tang Man cried herself to sleep.

Rui cleaned her face with wet cloth and took off her outer robe, then he covered her with the blanket. He sat at the side of the bed, gently gazing upon her face. He reached out to stroke her supple cheek that was warm to touch and saw her butterfly eyelashes tremble.