The Performance

¿Chapter 14?

Dan's POV

Friday, March 20th, 2009

The day of the play.

I never usually get nervous for a performance. I've been doing it so long, it was second nature. In our school, the day of a big performance you stay and practice in the auditorium all day, getting your final rehearsal done and makeup and costumes ready. I was ready to make my last show my best and most memorable. We were all sat on stage, Mrs. Nolan was always so stressed the days prior to our show.

"I want to see a run through, no stops! Don't put on your costumes yet. Everyone in positions for Act 1 Scene 1! Let's get this show on the road!" Mrs. Nolan called out.
~
6:00 PM, 2 hours until showtime

Everyone was starting to put on their costumes and makeup. I was already finished, I walked over to Bailey. She was curling her normally strait blonde hair.

"Hey, nervous?" I asked.

"Eh. I'm always a little bit nervous but not too bad." She stood to face me.

I couldn't help but notice that Bailey was perfect kissing height. I'm about 6'4" which is actually really tall, Bailey was on the taller side for a woman being about 5'8". The rest of her family isn't that tall...

She must get it from her mum.

I rapped my arms around her waist and gave her a small peck on the lips.

Holly Marcus the head of backstage popped her head through the curtains, "Sorry to interrupt but, Mrs. Nolan wants everyone to go to main stage right now."
~
7:00 PM 1 hour until showtime

Everyone was sat on the stage, Mrs. Nolan always gave us a pep talk before a show.

"Another great year has gone by for drama and I know that you'll all do wonderful, I have complete faith in you." She smiled, "and for my students leaving me this year, I will miss you all so much. Thank you for being a part of my program. Now, who's ready for showtime!"

We all stood up in a circle and joined hands. It was a tradition to do this before a show. All of our hands would be connected, Mrs. Nolan would squeeze the persons on her rights hand and they would pass it to the next. The goal is to get it back to the person who started. We called it the passing of the nerves. Nobody really knew why but we all felt better after this exercise. I felt my squeeze and passed it to Bailey. Soon enough Mrs. Nolan had gotten it back.

She looked up, "Break a leg. It's showtime."
~
I walked out on stage holding hands with Bailey. We both took ours bows.
I saw the smiling faces of my parents and brother, Lianna and Troye were clapping, Bailey's dad, Mia, Elizabeth, and her aunt were all there. This feeling of satisfaction was one I would remember all my life.

The calm before the storm.