Chapter 3: First Impressions

Daniel

Where was I?

Right. The crazy lunatic just grabbed my wrist. His eyes shot open after I screamed at his face and I thought I saw a flicker of recognition in them.

A second passed. He sighed."I'm not going to hurt you, Daniel."

Oh, thank goodness.

Wait, what?

"How do you know my name?" I tried to wiggle my hand out of his grasp.

"Uh..I've been watching you since you were born."

Wow. Way to go, creep.

"That is fantastic." I tried to prise his fingers off with my free hand.

He winced. "Wait, that sounded weird." He looked right into my eyes. "I know everything there is to know about you.."

"Uh huh." I kept one foot on his ribs and pulled my arm back with all my strength.

He didn't let up. "Because I'm your guardian angel."

I stopped struggling. "Oh my god."

"Yep."

"You have brain damage."

"Yea.. What? No!" He thrust my arm back. "Daniel, I'm serious."

I inched back, trying to keep a distance between us. "Look, man. You fell a long way. There could be something..."

"Your name is Daniel Isaac Saviour. You were born on December 3 2002. It was dawn and you were green for some reason. How else would I know that?"

"You've been stalking me?!" I panicked. Everything he said was true. And I'd never seen this guy before in my life.

Believe me, I'd have remembered it.

Wait,no, that sounded wrong.

He was exasperated at this point.

"You know what? I'm just gonna have to show you."

He rolled over and hunched his back, widening the space between his shoulder blades. I could tell he was concentrating on something.

Cue awkward silence.

"Hey, man. If it's all the same to you, I'm just gonna..go." I waved at the path behind me.

"I don't understand." He whispered.

"What's that?"

"I don't understand." He slowly got to his feet and grabbed his hair. "This isn't supposed to happen."

I hesitated, shuffling my feet. I wasn't convinced this guy wasn't psycho but right now, he just looked helpless and scared.

Ugh, my feels.

He was muttering something under his breath. ".....unless.." He looked at me, his eyes burning with concentrated hate. "You....You did this."

I started. "Excuse me?"

"You must have some kind of power over me. You brought me here."

I held up my hands. "I don't even know what's going on here!"

He turned on me. "This. Is all. Your fault."

Oh... dude, I really should have gone to the bathroom before I came here.

"You're delirious. You should get that checked out.'

See, when faced with an unstable teen in the woods, that's the kind of thing you shouldn't tell them.

He growled in frustration.

"Run."