Chapter 6: Hellhound

Daniel

"How's the nose?" I asked my guardian as we walked back to my home.

He grunted in reply. Even with his powers, his nose still looked like a boiled lobster.

"Why aren't you healing?" I skipped over a pothole.

"Too exhausted." He sighed and rubbed his Rudolph nose. I decided not to push him too much.

I glanced at my watch. 4 p.m. That's it?

My surroundings were unnaturally dark, like someone threw a blanket and noise cancelling headphones over the area. I scooted closer to the angel. Something wasn't right here and he felt it too.

Without warning, he pulled me into an alley.

"Dude, have you seen stabber movies?"

"Shh." He moved in front of me.

Aww...to protect me?

"Just so we're clear, Daniel, if something comes from behind, I will be running away."

And the moment's gone.

A low growling sound made us both jump. He clasped my arm briefly, to make sure I was still there or maybe to throw me at the sound, I can't tell.

"What's out there?" I whispered into his ear.

His breath came out as short bursts of steam. I counted four before he answered. "Daniel, listen to me. If that thing comes at us, I want you to run as fast as you can."

"Just have to outrun you, right?" I joked weakly, hoping to lighten the mood.

"That'll be easy. I'm not coming." There goes the mood.

"What are we running from anyway?" Not liking this. Not liking this.

He ignored my question. The rattling sound of claws on pavement filled the silence.

"Run when I tell you.." He slowly moved back, pushing me behind him.

"I can't just leave you here!" I hissed. The footsteps stopped a few metres in front of us.

He stiffened. "Run."

I stayed put like the genius in horror movies. "No."

"Run, you fricking dumba-"

Too late. Hundred kilos of pure darkness materialised in front of us, running at full speed on all fours.

"Shit." The angel shoved me away from the creature and slid into a defensive stance, arms raised in front.

"No..come on. Come on." He muttered, shaking his hands. He was straining to do something.

At this rate, he's just gonna pass gas.

"Screw this." He stooped in a runner's position.

Before I could yell at him to stop being stupid, a girl's voice rang out from behind us. "Duck!"

My slow brain went, "Where?"

My guardian, however, dropped face first into the ground, hands over his head. Not a moment too soon. A jet stream of water slammed into the creature, forcing it away from us.

"Move!" Someone ordered. A guy this time. If he hadn't rolled to the side in time, I wouldn't have had a guardian angel anymore.

A six foot tall guy built like a battering ram charged past us and at the Thing. Just before he reached it, a pair of fiery wings lashed out from his back. By fiery, I mean actual tendrils of fire.

He grabbed the creature by the neck and swooped above the skyline then let it drop.

My flightless guardian was making a resting b-face as he shoved me backwards.

The creature went splat right where I was standing a second ago and dissolved, seeping through the cracks in the ground.

Fiery guy did a perfect superhero landing, retracting his wings and looking hella cool.

Uh...can someone please tell me what the frick-frack snick-snack is going on here?