Chapter 14: Truth

Daniel

"Dagas.. I don't..." I couldn't find the words. I just couldn't.

"I didn't want to tell you. I thought I could just be your guardian angel and we'd both have what we wanted.

"But it doesn't work like that. You get one.. angel and demon.. and there's no changing that."

"So.. what? Were you trying to kill me or something?" I didn't believe that but I was too upset to think.

"No!" He looked shocked that I would say that. "This happened because I didn't want to kill you." His voice lowered at the end but I still heard it.

It didn't stop me from backing away. "What about my real guardian? Where's he?"

Dagas looked like he'd been stabbed. He took a while before answering. "He's.. gone."

"What do you mean he's gone?" I didn't mean to yell but I was panicking.

"HE'S DEAD!" His composure shattered at those words as he clawed at his head, knees to his chest. "He's..dead," he whispered as his voice cracked, "and it's my fault."

I flinched as if I'd been hit. This side of him was something I didn't want to see.

It sounds selfish, I know.

"I didn't mean to.." He spoke again. I didn't think he would.

"I didn't mean..." A single tear escaped from his otherwise icy eye, trailing down his cheek. "...I loved him."