Chapter 12: Twist

Daniel

I fell asleep happier than I'd been in years.

It was dumb. I'd only met him a few days ago but it just felt safer having an angel around.

But since I'm the unlucky sucker I was born as, I heard the familiar growl at three in the morning.

I woke up in cold sweat, frantically looking for Dagas.

He wasn't there.

Almost in tears, I ran down the hall to my mom's room. She was sleeping soundly with Chloe in her arms. Relief flooded me as I gently closed the door.

But I still had to find Dagas.

If this was the first few minutes of a horror movie, I would've died.

I opened the front door, looking around. It was unnaturally dark, like that time in the alley.

So it is a hell hound.

I could hear my heart beat as I took a few steps forward, trying to see anything.

"Can't do that....."

I hid behind the hedge as I heard Dagas's voice.

I peeked over but I couldn't see who he was talking to.

"Today.... Can't leave..."

I couldn't hear everything but he sounded desperate.

"He doesn't need to know!"

I cringed at the anger in his voice. I'd heard it once before, when he was talking to Ignis.

Maybe it's him. I relaxed a little at the thought.

"Fine. Just..leave Daniel out of this."

He was getting close enough for me to hear him. On instinct, I rushed back to my house, closing the door behind me.

Even though I didn't do anything wrong, I didn't want Dagas to think I was spying on him.

I mean, I was but he doesn't need to know that.

I curled up under the covers like I was there all night. Before the minute was up, I heard my bedroom door open. It had to be Dagas. By the sound, I guess he was sitting cross-legged on the floor, like he didn't move at all that night.

************************************

I felt a little better in the morning. I don't think he saw me spying on him but I was still a little worried when he asked me to go to the witch's castle with him.

"There's something I need to do."

That's all he said.

I knew he would get suspicious if i didn't ask annoying questions so I did. "What do you have to do?"

"I... Need to straighten some things out.. in Solace. That's the afterlife."