Still Surviving

Daniel

I barely saw him again after first period. Turns out the education system is great for keeping derpy angels away.

So far, I hadn't seen Jason either. I thought I saw him once but it just turned out to be our bear mascot.

I drummed my fingers on my lunch tray nervously. Gym next period. I'd do anything to get out of gym. I looked at the mystery meat in front of me.

Okay, maybe not anything.

I found myself wishing for my divine backup.

*****************************

Well, I found him. So did the aliens orbiting Earth from outer space.

I caught him trying to hide behind the bleachers, pulling his jersey as low as possible.

In gym shorts, his legs seemed to reflect sunlight and blind everyone in his vicinity. Man, I thought I was pale.

He spotted me and hopped over. "Daniel.."

"Nice legs, Edward Cullen."

He made a face. "Ugh. That bad?"

"Yep. You and your lighthouse body need to stay all the way on the other side." I waved at the opposite end of the gym.

"This is torturous." He said through gritted teeth.

I patted his shoulder. "Not my problem, sunshine."

"Why does this even exist?" He motioned towards the mats.

"Well, if you're a guy, you kinda have to do this."

"Why are you here?" He muttered.

"What's that?"

"This makes no sense. Some of the best angel warriors identify as female."

"I don't know, okay? They get cheerleading. We get to fight."

I thought I heard him say "I want cheerleading" as I walked away.

Okay, that image is burned into my brain.

The class formed a ring around coach Hudson, who was definitely out to get me.

"First to the mat," he looked at the circle of boys. "Severide."

Few whoops and bro hugs later, Jason stepped up.

Coach looked at his clip board. "You're up against...Saviour."

It's okay. I wrote my new will a few days ago.

I was about to trudge up when he said, "No, the new kid."

In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have laughed that hard. But come on.

I clapped the angel on the back. "You got this, tiger."

He hissed,"Guardian angels aren't supposed to-"

"Don't care." I showed him away. "Let's test that immortality, shall we?"

The two of them faced off against each other.

"You know the rules." Coach droned on, "No biting, no scratching. Try not to break any bones." He looked at fake Saviour, then at Jason. "But if you do...oh well." What an excellent instructor.

"Hey...you don't have a grudge against me, right? What do you say you take it easy.."

"Nah. You hang out with Dorkus." Jason nodded at me. I waved hi.

I was seriously not expecting it to go the way it did.

Jason swung his fist at him. My guardian angel dipped to the side and straightened back up. "See, the thing is, I don't want to fight you.."

Jason tried rapid punching. Right,left, right. Didn't work. The guy just flicked to the sides.

He didn't give up, though. He threw his whole weight behind the next punch. The angel wasn't even fazed. "But if you insist.." He flowed around him and dropped to the ground, sweeping Jason's feet from under him and twirled back up like some badass ballerina.

The class was stunned. Coach Hudson was too shocked to start the count. That was enough time for Jason to kick out and nail Fake Saviour in the knee. He went down under the force of his own body weight and Jason got to his feet.

The angel was seething.

Uh oh.

"Mistake." He kicked off the ground with his right fist drawn back in an attack that would've made Ezio Auditore proud.

...If it had landed.

Jason caught his fist and raised one of his own. I heard my guardian angel gulp.

Oh.....Fudge.