karponus. [1.2]

"Get down from there, god damnit

"Get down from there, god damnit.."

______________________

When Cora got home that Tuesday night, her heart stopped when she climbed into her room and saw her door had been opened since she left.

"Oh no.." She whispered, quickly closing the door and changing into her pajamas, shoving the suit underneath her bed as she heard her father's bedroom door open and his footsteps come down the hall. Cora slowly blinked and checked in the mirror, sighing in relief as her eyes were back to their light brown.

There was a heavy knock at her door and she took a deep breath, walking over and slowly opening the door. In front of her was her father, practically fuming.

"Where were you, Cora? I came in here at eleven o'clock to check if you were asleep or doing homework, and I find out you're not home?" He asked, his arms crossed.

Cora swallowed the nervous lump in her throat, "I-I, I was just um- on a walk." She said, telling him a blatant lie.

"A walk? At eleven at night? In this neighbourhood?" Her father questioned her, staying quiet because Penny was fast asleep in her room like Cora should've been. They didn't live in a necessarily bad area of Queens, but it wasn't exactly the best either.

"I was um.. I was thinking about mom, y'know. Just needed the walk. Seven years comes up soon, in just over a month." Cora told him, and his expression softened. Her dad knew it was a lot harder for Cora to deal with the absence of her mother than it was for Penny. Penny never really knew her, she left just before she turned 1.

"Come here, sweetie." Her father sighed, pulling her into a tight hug. Cora wrapped her arms around her father, knowing that what she told him wasn't technically a lie.

For a long time, Cora was in denial that their mother was never going to come home. She always had that little bit of hope that she would come home from wherever she left to on January 19th, nearly 7 years ago, and all would be the same. But a few months ago, Cora lost her hope and it really hit her that she left them, and she wasn't coming home. That's when Cora started using her powers and doing something, not only to do good but also to distract herself.

"I miss her, dad." Cora sighed, feeling the tears come into her eyes as she thought about her mother. She got her blonde hair from her mother, her height and petite build. Though, she had her father's eyes, and smile.

"I miss her too, honey. I miss her too." Her dad said, leaning down and kissing his daughter's head. "But, she's missing out on two amazing girls." He reminded her, Cora smiling a bit.