wrong car. [2.6]

"I think I'm in the wrong car

"I think I'm in the wrong car.."

___________________

Ever since Cora heard her mother's words, saying she had already won, she was doing everything in her power to protect Michelle. Michelle was like Cora's rock, her pillar of support. Of course Jaquie would go for her, it would ruin Cora if she did.

It had been a week since her mother told her she already won, yet nothing had happened to Michelle. She was being her normal self, making quips at Peter, reading at lunch, discussing politics with Cindy and running the Deca Team like a queen. She was just being Michelle. Yet, Cora was still worried. She had a feeling something was going to happen on Tuesday or Wednesday, and told Michelle to stay home, to fake sick, something. All Cora knew was that she couldn't be near her, because the something, whatever it was, involved Cora. Michelle just simply couldn't be around. Cora wouldn't allow it.

The drug her mother was selling had grown in popularity over the week. 4 people fell asleep in her chemistry class on Monday, and 5 people fell over in P.E. What the hell was her mother's goal? Turn the teenage population of NYC into fatigued zombies, along with her sister and father? Who knows. On Tuesday, 6 people fell asleep in CS. The teachers took it as being over-tired from studying for upcoming finals.

Cora hadn't snuck out for the past week, in fear that it would be the last straw before her mother would go after Michelle. She felt like she was walking on eggshells in her own house. When she said her mother didn't intimidate her, she was telling the truth, until she thought of Michelle. Cora wasn't worried about her own life, she was worried for Michelle's.

Over the past week, she began to have small conversations with Peter again, and saying hi in the hallway. It felt good to talk to him again, just a glance from him and a small smile brightened her day a bit - even with the possibility of her mother being the leader a growing drug empire, or whatever it was.

On Wednesday, Cora made sure Michelle wasn't going to come to school. Nothing happened on Tuesday, but she knew something was going down on Wednesday. She could feel it in her bones, she felt her throat tight all day. In Chemistry, Peter noticed how fidgety Cora was, and how the slightest movement of a car outside the school window made her jump. It wasn't normal for her, he knew something was wrong.

"Are you okay?" Peter whispered to her once Rivit had turned towards the board. Cora quickly turned to face him, and let out a shaky sigh.

"Yeah- yeah.. I just.. I didn't sleep a lot last night. Lot on my mind." She told him quietly before cutting off the conversation, since Rivit had turned around.

Peter didn't really believe it, but he let it slide. He knew that if he pushed on it, She would just shut him out. He knew she wanted to go through whatever it was on her own, but he just wanted to help. He wouldn't try to if she didn't want him to though, and that's exactly how it was.

The bell rang, and Peter walled with Cora down the hall to her locker. She seemed to be looking around a lot, as if she was watching for someone. He found it odd for Cora, as she usually had a brisk walk that seemed as if she was rushing. But once again, he let it slide. She might just be having an off day.

In their CS class, Cora would jump and turn to look at the door anytime someone came in or out. She would typically just ignore it. She also seemed to be frantically checking her phone, and let out a sigh of relief every 10 to 15 minutes or so. Nobody else really took note of her off behaviour, though, since everyone was too busy with their own things. But Peter noticed. He noticed a lot.

When gym class rolled around, she was keeping a close eye on the windows and doors. It was as if she knew something was going to happen, but Peter didn't have the feeling. If his senses weren't going absolutely hay wire, then nothing could be going wrong.. right?

Peter let out a quiet sigh and tuned into whatever Ned had been talking about for past few minutes. Normally, Peter was attentive and would take in every word he had to say. He was his best friend, after all. But his mind was somewhere else, and that was being concerned with Cora's unusual behaviour. It was much more than just loss of sleep. Something was wrong.

Due to Michelle being absent, Cindy had to run Deca practice. She was Vice Captain, so when Michelle was gone, she stepped up. She ran it almost as well as Michelle, if not, just as well, so Peter still enjoyed practice. Another weird thing was that Cora still came to watch, even though Michelle wasn't here.

The reason for Cora being there was not Peter. She wanted to see if anyone would show up, searching for Michelle. She knew her behaviour was off, because she felt that something was wrong.

Cora's phone lit up, and she picked it up in under a second. She let out was seemed to be a routinely sigh of relief, since it was Michelle. Her and Michelle had agreed that Michelle would send her a text a few times every hour, telling her she was okay and nothing weird was going on. Cora just needed that reassurance, she was so worried about her.

At 4 o'clock, Cindy wrapped up practice and everyone left, Cora wanting to wait until it was empty. Peter wasn't leaving just yet, though. He walked over to Cora's spot at the cafeteria table, looking down at her. She looked like she had lost sleep, and she looked completely out of the loop.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Peter asked, knowing he didn't have to do the awkward hi or hey anymore.

Cora simply nodded, standing from her spot and swinging her heavy backpack over her fatigued shoulders. "Yeah I just... I don't feel too well. I'm gonna go home and get some rest." She told him, "I'll see you later, Pete."

"See ya." Peter sighed, knowing he wouldn't get any more from her than he already had. Letting out a heavy breath, he walked out of the cafeteria and down the hall, out of the back doors of the school.

Peter saw the shiny black car parked on the road at the end of the field that extended from the back doors. The project with Tony was becoming harder and harder, especially since Violet stopped showing up without an explanation on their Tuesday and Thursday meets. She had been completely off the radar for about 3 weeks or so, no news of her anywhere. Tony was so close to just letting the project slip through his fingers, because he couldn't gain any information on this girl.

As Peter grew closer to the car, he felt goosebumps shoot up his arms and a tingling feeling in his face and chest. He abruptly stopped, knitting his eyebrows together as his senses dialed up to high. He took a quick look around him and saw nobody in sight, even glancing up to the school's roof and the trees that were in the yard. There was nothing there. He sucked in a deep breath before he continued to walk to the car, and the tingling feeling in his face only felt worse, as if it was tightening his skin. He quickly shook his head, trying to get rid of it. Peter seemed to think his senses were just playing with him. They had before.

Letting go of the deep breath, he opened the door and slid into the car, shutting the door behind him. The second he shut the door, the locks clicked, and he snapped his head to look next to him. He felt his heart stop, seeing a man there, decked in black leather and a hood, holding a red cloth in his hand.

"Hey, kid."

Peter swallowed the lump in his throat, "l-listen man.. I.. I think I'm in the wrong car." He said, reaching for the lock and handle. "So I'll just- I'm gonna go now- hey!"

The man had grabbed Peter by the strap of his backpack and pulled him towards him, immediately covering his face with the red cloth. The cloth was previously soaked in a chemical that caused Peter to fall unconscious in just a couple of seconds. He fell limp against the leather seat of the car, having fallen into a deep sleep.

The man pulled out a cell phone and dialed a number, hearing someone pick up almost instantly.

"I've got 'em, boss."

_________________

i told y'all you weren't ready ;)