chapter 1

My eyes flutter open when 'I Want to Break Free' by Queen sounds from my phone. I groan and sit up, grabbing my phone and turning off my alarm in the process. I uncover myself from the security of my bed and trudge to my closet while struggling to keep my eyes open. My hand flips through many articles of clothing I've collected over the years: oversized band tees, black leggings, athletic shorts, denim shorts, ripped jeans, sweatpants, a single red, flowery dress, a denim skirt, some sweaters, a white off-the-shoulder top, and my large collection of hoodies. I yawn and pull a random pair of jeans and t-shirt from the black hole. I slip out of my pajamas--a pair of shorts and a loose t-shirt, and slip on the mystery clothes.

When I get to the bathroom, I'm shocked to see that the outfit I picked while half-asleep is perfect. I picked out a pair of light wash blue jeans, and also grabbed my Rolling Stones t-shirt that I thrifted a few weeks ago. Smiling in satisfaction, I walk back to my closet to grab a black leather jacket, as it's chilly outside and it goes with the outfit perfectly. As for my shoes, I throw on a pair of distressed black lace up boots, and my outfit it complete. I throw my hair up into a messy bun, put on a few necklaces and rings, and I'm ready for breakfast.

 I throw my hair up into a messy bun, put on a few necklaces and rings, and I'm ready for breakfast

When I get downstairs, my mom hands me a smoothie.

"Good morning," she smiles, "I know you don't eat much in the morning, but you need to have some sort of nutrition to start your day off right."

"Good morning, Mom, thanks," I reply.

I take the drink from her and sit down across from my dad, who's reading the newspaper.

"Morning, sweetie." He looks over the paper and at the drink in my hand, shaking his head slightly, a small grin on his face.

"Morning, Dad."

I'm an only child, and sometimes it gets lonely by myself. My parents are the sweetest people in the entire world, but there's only so much 'parent interaction' a girl can take. I take my phone out of my pocket and check to see if I have any messages. There's none, as always, so I scroll through Instagram and Twitter while I finish my smoothie.

"Mckayla, you better get your ass upstairs and finish getting ready if you want to make the bus," my parents laugh, ushering me out of my seat.

I stand up, shocked. I didn't realize I was down here for so long. I run upstairs, brush my teeth, grab my things, and I'm out the door in less than 10 minutes.

"Bye Mom, bye Dad!" I call out before closing the door.

While walking to the bus stop, I open Spotify and put my earbuds in. I shuffle my 'good vibes' playlist, hoping it will bring my mood up. When I arrive at the bus stop, I see everyone is having a group conversation, so I take my earbuds out to join.

"Hi-"

Before I can say two words, everyone stops talking and looks at me. I stop talking and pull my jacket tighter around my body, suddenly self-conscious.