7: Jason

POV: Jason Kowalski

I used to be the laid back one. I still am, to some extent, but I'm on edge a lot. I was the one who immediately listened to what Kevin said in fear of what would happen otherwise. The only time I've ever been punished was about 6 months in with just me and Missy, and I tried to be funny and give Kevin a high five through the bars. He grabbed my hand and pulled me so I hit the bars of the cage.

I almost dislocated my arm, but he stopped at the right second. My entire side hurt for at least a week. Missy never swears, and she called me a dumbass for doing that. I shrugged it off, but I don't mess with him anymore.

I went to my first (and last) Kevin Cunningham concert (and first/last concert in general) when I was 18. It was his first concert where he had VIP meet-and-greet passes, even though he was still a smaller artist then (no pun intended). I got one, somehow, and meeting him was pretty cool. Well, until he pocketed me. There was another human, but he had me stay until after he left and he grabbed me and brought me here.

I've felt myself becoming increasingly bothered whenever a new person showed up. Not because I don't like more company, I adore it, but I hate knowing a new person will become a victim, if you will, to this shit. Clearly, I'm the only one so far who's stayed afloat in this mess, but  it's because I pussied out right away.

Avery is quiet and shy around him, but I can tell she's trying to be more outgoing. Her personality might get the best of her, to be honest. Even if she blends in, she wants change, as we all do, and I can see her being actually successful in freeing us, but I'm not putting too much hope into her. I didn't for Riley when they showed up, and we still remain.

I feel so small. I mean, I am compared to Kevin, but it's not just a giant that gets to your head, it's where a giant lives. I've been here for 2 years now, and I've gotten so used to everything being big enough to kill me, but I'm still not as used to it as being a " normal" size. It's starting to feel like there are only humans out there, and this single giant is out to get them all.

That's what he wants, anyway. Control over those smaller than him. What can I do? Am I supposed to be the brave knight, wielding my silver sword and riding on horseback, piercing the tip into the chest of the massive giant, saving the kingdom? I can't. I want to, and the others do too, but even four against one isn't enough. A hundred against one is probably not even enough.

I miss being the laid back one, who didn't have to worry about my only friends being punished or killed, or the same fate going to me. What if one day, Kevin snaps? He just goes for it and kills us all? I have these thoughts a lot.

One day, Kevin will be done with his career and run out of money, leaving no food left, but the 4 tiny, helpless humans. One day, we'll break out of the cage and Kevin won't see us when he's walking, taking the next step at the worst time and place. One day, someone will piss him off so much that any form of punishment will go too far.

As I find myself doing a few times a day, I sigh and lean back into the gold bars of the bird cage.