8: Released

POV: Avery Williams

"When do we get fed?" I ask. Jason and Riley laugh like maniacs.

"When he feels like it," Missy keeps a straight face.

"How often is that?" My heart sinks.

"Once every other day, I'd say. Today's your lucky day."

The birdcage starts vibrating a bit, indicating Kevin's coming. "I'm gonna do something stupid, don't get mad," I finish the sentence right as he walks in so they don't interject.

"Kevin!" I yell, and he comes forward. The cage hangs a couple feet from the ceiling, so I come up to about his shoulders. If I were a giant, it'd be above my head.

"What do you want?" he looks bored, which I'll take over angry.

"When do we get food? I'm starting to get kind of hungry."

"Me too, but I'm refraining." He smiles the same smile he gave me when I first met him. I can't tell if he's joking or not.

"Never mind," I say, just loud enough for him to hear.

"You'll be fed today, don't worry." He then unhooks the cage from the ceiling and brings it over to the bed, then opens the door.

"What is he doing?" I whisper to Missy.

"Letting us out," she replies. "But only to look at us up close, get to understand us, et cetera. We get to get changed too; he leaves the room for like 5 minutes.

"That's weird." She doesn't reply to my comment.

We all walk out of the cage. It's only been a day, but it feels so nice. "Lemme see you, the new one," Kevin scoops me up, but surprisingly nicely, even without my consent. He just kid of examines me, looking away only for a second every ten seconds or so to make sure the others haven't left.

His eyes are so big, his massive blue  irises being the size of my head. I'm still in complete awe at all of this. I'm being held in the hands of my favorite celebrity, and not only that, but he's keeping me as a... pet... and admiring me like I'm cute. He's just so big. Again, I'm used to giants, but he's SO. BIG.

"Do you guys know how much I love humans, honestly?" He asks, indirectly to me and the others. I'm appreciating the calm he's maintaining, and refuse to ruin it by saying no.

"Why are you shaking?" Kevin asks me, and I realize I am and snap out of it right away.

"Scared of heights, I think," I lie.

"Heights, or me?" he asks, smirking, and I tense up. He laughs at that.

We get time to change, with a small wardrobe of human clothes. Riley and I share the same clothing sizes, but I let them choose first, going for more simplistic clothes after.

"How often do we get this?" I ask.

"Opposite to days we're fed. They never line up like this, but it means we'll be deprived of one for an extra day now," sighs Jason.

"Be lucky you're getting this," Riley tells me, and I understand how much of a privilege this is compared to how it could be.