(3) LWW: Aslan is on the move

Inside the cozy house, the buck stove burned away and cooked the fish and chips. Mrs. Beaver busied about the kitchen making supper. Edmund sat down on the steps, while his siblings sat around the table with Mr. Beaver. Robin lay upon the floor in front of the fire. Her cold coat soaking in the heat. She slowly started to fall asleep, and might of too, if the smell of fish hadn't reached her nose.

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Peter asked. He most likely wasn't as worried as Lucy, but he still wanted to know about the Faun who had helped his sister on her first journey to Narnia.

"They'll have taken him to the Witch's." Beaver answered. "You know what they say. There's few that go through them gates that come out again."

"Very helpful, Beaver." Robin said as she saw the light in Lucy's eyes die out.

"Well, it is the truth. And there is no point in telling them a lie."

"Yes, well sometimes, not giving the full truth, is better than giving it all or telling the lie." Mr. Beaver opened his mouth, but just then Mrs. Beaver came quickly to the table trying to ease the tension a bit.

"Fish 'n' chips?" She said as she placed down the plate of 'fish and chips'. Lucy, still looking discouraged, looked at the food in disgust. "But there is hope, dear." Lucy gave a forced smile as Mrs. Beaver put her hand on Lucy's shoulder. "Lots of hope." Mr. Beaver gagged on his drink and quickly set it down.

"Oh, yeah, there's a right bit more than hope!" He looked behind him as if checking no one was there, then leaned forward. "Aslan is on the move." Robin watch all the children's expressions. They were almost knowing, but Robin could still see the wonder and curiosity of whoever this great name was. Saying 'Aslan' aloud brought stillness and respect to the room. All seemed to be in some trance, except Edmund, who stood up from his perch on the stairs and walked forward to the table.

"Who's Aslan?" He asked drawing all attention now to him. Beaver started laughing.

"Who's Aslan?" He continued to laugh. "You cheeky little blighter." Mrs. Beaver hit his shoulder and pointed to their guest.

"I believe they truly do not know." Robin stated. Beaver looked from her to the rest of the group.

"What?" He breathed out, then fully taking in everyone's faces. "You don't know, do you?"

"We haven't exactly been here long." Peter stated.

"Well, he's only the king of the whole wood. The top geezer. The real King of Narnia." He paused and looked to Robin. She stood up and walked toward the table. The conversation was getting interesting and her hunger growing.

"He's been away for a long while." Mrs. Beaver explained more.

"But he's just got back!" Beaver exclaimed. "And he's waitin' for you near the Stone Table!"

"He's waiting for us?" Lucy asked shocked.

"You're bloomin' joking!" He turn to Mrs. Beaver and Robin. "They don't even know about the prophecy!"

"Well, then..." Mrs. Beaver and Robin said in unison.

"Look." Mr. Beaver calmed down a bit and rested his hands on the table, his head down. Then he raised his head again and started marking things off with his figures. "Aslan's return, Tumnus' arrest, the secret police, it's all happening because of you!"

"You're blaming us?" Susan asked, sounding offended. Robin shook her head.

"No!" She said. "Not blaming."

"Thanking you." Mrs. Beaver finished.

"There's a prophecy." Mr. Beaver started, leaning back in his chair.

"When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone

sits at Cair Paravel in throne,

the evil time will be over and done."

"You know, that doesn't really rhyme." Susan commented. Robin nodded in agreement.

"I know it don't." Mr. Beaver shot Robin a quick glance. "You're kinda missin' the point!" Mrs. Beaver placed her hand on Beaver to calm him down.

"It has long been foretold..." She said as she pointed at the guests. "...that two Sons of Adam and two Daughters of Eve will defeat the White Witch and restore peace to Narnia." She smiled at Beaver, while Peter and Susan were exchanging worried glances.

"And you think we're the ones?" Peter asked.

"You'd better be, 'cause Aslan's already fitted out your army." Mr. Beaver was excited again.

"Our army?" Lucy was surprised and Susan looked to Peter again, but this time knowingly.

"Mum sent us away so we wouldn't get caught up in a war." She said.

"I think you've made a mistake." Peter pointed out. "We're not heroes."

"We're from Finchley." Guess heroes don't come from Finchley, where ever that is. Robin thought. "Thank you for your hospitality." Susan started to stand, she looked down at the other two at the table. "But we really have to go."

"No, you can't just leave!" Mr. Beaver exclaimed. Peter gave a sorry look and stood up too.

"He's right." Said Lucy, still sitting down. "We have to help Mr. Tumnus." Robin flicked her tail allowing it to touch Lucy's hand. Good girl, she meant to say with it. Lucy gave a small smile.

"It's out of our hands." Peter told her sternly. Robin shot him a glare. "I'm sorry, but it's time the four of us were getting home." Peter turned around. "Ed?" He said, while doing so. Robin looked at the stairs, realizing the Edmund had been very quiet. What she saw shocked her, or more like what she didn't see. Edmund was not were he had been the past few minutes. "Ed?" All their eyes went to the door that stood partly open. Peter turned to Susan, shaking his head. "I'm gonna kill him."

"You may not have to." Mr. Beaver said, and all eyes turned his direction. "Had Edmund ever been to Narnia before?"