Prince Caspian: Prologue

Yay, book 2:

-{------

She stood from her sitting position and stared at where the thrones had been. It is the second time in over a hundred century period that Robin had stood in this same place and asked why. Why would he let this happen? Why would they attack now when they had been at peace? What had made them so eager and greedy to destroy the world of Narnia?

They had killed every Narnian they could find and destroyed Cair Paravel. The remaining Narnians had dispersed into the Shuddering Woods across the Fords of Beruna. Robin had gone there for a time, but now she stood where Aslan had stood when he crowd the Kings and Queens of old.

Fledge did not stand with her this time to answer her questions, but Glade did. With the help of Robin's water healing, Glade still lived and he was just as jumpy as he had been the day of the battle against the Witch. Although now his coat gave off a darker hint and his legs showed more muscle than they had that day.

"Guess there's no point in complaining to you, now is there?" Glade shook his head with a snort. Robin sighed and walked toward him. "I bet you remember what this looked like though." She was now mostly talking to herself. "The long halls, high ceilings, and oak doors. The smell of toast always cooking and the sound of the birds that never learned to be quiet." Robin now stood beside the black speckled grey horse, her hand under his long black mane. "Those were the days that coming here was worth while."

"And what would such a young girl like yourself know about those days?" Robin notched an arrow and pointed into the darkness at where the voice had come from. "Oh, I mean you no harm. I merely wish to know how you would know about it?" A short man with a beard almost longer than himself stepped into the light. Robin would have almost thought him a Dwarf if it hadn't been for the fact that he was taller than most Dwarves...but not by much.

"Why wouldn't I remember it?" Robin lowered her bow, but left the arrow on. Her trust wasn't very high after the battle she had just ended in Calorman.

"Well, for someone your age, I never would have thought that you would know so much about it. Especally since that was over a century ago...?" The short man sat down and picked up a small golden statue of a Minotaur.

"Ah, yes. Well, looks can be deceiving." She paused. Glade had now turned around and was staring intently at the man. "How about we take Glade here as an example." She ran her hand along his head. "Looks to be about six, is still tall, lean, and very strong. But would you ever think he was over 4 centuries old?" She pointed her question at the man.

"Are you a Time Keeper? Or perhaps a Hermit?" Robin smiled.

"No, I am an Equal." The man was confused, his spectacles were falling off the bridge of his nose and his bushy eye brows were being hidden under those. "What do you know about the beginning of Narnia?" She asked as she took a seat in front of Glade's legs. She leaned and rested her back against them.

"We shouldn't talk about that here." He whispered. "If you can talk how you do then you would know that Narnia has been forbidden to speak about." So, he's a Telmarine.

"Yes, but I am not under those laws." She sat up. "My name is Robin, I am Equal to the Great Lion; Aslan himself and I am a supposed Sea Nymph." She finished by hanging her head low as if she were bowing while naming her title. Then looking up she found the man staring at her in shock. "Should I add that I am as old as this world, only I stay my young looking self." Now his mouth was open in a small 'o'. "And who might you be then."

"I...I am...." He cleared his throat. "I am Cornelius. I am a half Dwarf and Professor to the young Caspian. I believe that is all I have to say about myself." Robin could tell he was still in awe, for he said everything in a bit of a rush. She smiled at him.

"And what would bring the Professor of, I am guessing, Caspian the tenth to Cair Paravel?"

"The beauty..." He said looking around, then added. "...and the history." Robin watched the Dwarven-man with curiosity ablaze in her eyes. She didn't know that then and there she would be friends with this man until his death many years later.