(16) LWW: We have to help them

Susan and Lucy lay asleep upon Aslan's neck. A chilly wind blew through making the girls shiver in the coldness of it. Birds were singing of a battle that had begun, telling others what they had heard and seen. Susan was the first awake, but Lucy soon followed. They each looked around to see that the sun was finally fully rising over the hill.

"We should go." Susan said, as she slowly started down the few steps. Lucy gave a long look at Aslan then at her sister.

"I'm so cold." She whispered. She took Susan's out-stretched hand and descended the stairs. The big sister brought her close as they walked away from the Stone Table and Aslan. They each gave one look back, before going on.

The earth rumbled and shake, causing the girls to fall forward. They both yelled in surprise and Lucy looked back at the table. "Susan!" She cried. Her sister followed her gaze and saw the table, cracked down the middle and no Aslan. The sisters stood up and slowly walked back toward the table. "Where's Aslan?" Lucy inquired.

"What have they done?" Susan asked more to herself than anyone. The sun started to shine down upon them and the girls gasped as a figure walked from out of it. His four legs and shaggy mane told them who it was before he even block the sun's shine from blinding them.

"Aslan!" They both shouted and each going around the table a different way, ran straight into him. The Lion chuckled as the girls fell into his mane. They both pulled away with large smiles on their faces.

"But we saw the knife. The Witch." Said Susan.

"If the Witch knew the true meaning of sacrifice," He started to walk them around the Stone Table. "...she might have interpreted the Deep Magic differently. That when a willing victim who has committed no treachery is killed in a traitor's stead, the Stone Table will crack and even death itself will turn backwards." They now stood on the opposite side from where they started.

"We sent the news that you were dead." Susan said. "Peter and Edmund will have gone to war." Lucy pulled out her small dagger.

"We have to help them." She said. Aslan reached out and lowered the knife.

"We will, dear one, but not alone." Aslan walked forward a bit and lowered himself down. "Climb on my back." Lucy opened her mouth in shock and quickly obeyed his order along with Susan. "We have far to go and little time to get there. And you may want to cover your ears." They did as he released a roar that bounced off every nick and corner of the world. Even Robin on the battle field heard it, of course she had been listening for it.

They rode Aslan for what seemed like an eternity. Across plains and through forests. "Where are we going?" Susan had asked though she received no answer. But soon afterwards she saw the peak of none other than the Witch's castle.

"Hang on!" Aslan commanded as he ran faster toward the bridge. Once across they quickly raced into the castle.

Inside was not the prettiest sight. It looked as if a battle between the same forces had happened in the Witch's court yard. All of the many statues were Narnians. Centaurs, Fauns, Griffins, cats and many more. Lucy and Susan walked through them, with sadness written all over their faces.

Lucy stopped before a Faun that was bending over in an interesting direction. She looked to Susan, who was eyeing all the other stone statues. Lucy looked too and saw another Faun not too far from the one she stood at. Even without seeing his face fully, she knew who it was. Her pace was slow as she walked toward him, with Susan tailing.

Lucy stopped a few feet away from him, tears started flowing down. Susan pulled her close as she watch Aslan come up behind them. He blew a breath and even the stone hair on the Faun's head moved. The Lion backed up went to other statues, while the girls watched the scarf around the Faun's neck go from grey to red and the back fall lose. There was some groaning and the Faun started taking a human color of pale. He slowly started to fall forward, forward into the hands of young Lucy.

She caught him and couldn't help but smile. Mr. Tumnus--for that is who the Faun is--looked up slowly and started to laugh as he saw who it was. Lucy looked to her sister.

"Susan, this is..." Lucy started, but Susan already knew who it was. She walked forward.

"Mr. Tumnus!" She said as she hugged him too.

When braking away from the hug, Tumnus saw Aslan and his whole expression changed. "Come, we must hurry and search the castle." The Lion commanded. As he walked forward, many statues walked with him. Minotaur, Griffins, Leopards, and Centaurs all followed Aslan as they went from stone to themselves again.