(6) LWW: Merry Christmas

Robin ran and ran until her humans leg were giving way to her. She thought of shifting so many times, she seemed better at being a panther than a human. But the pain it brought, oh the pain, she hated it so much. It seemed to be the only reason she didn't morph into her old self.

She groaned as the exhaustion started taking over. Her sword now clanked at her side, because her hand on the hilt was too tired to keep it parted from the rest of her. She saw a large hallow tree and decided she needed the rest. She slide her body into the cove of the oak, and slowly her head nodded off to sleep.

It wasn't many minutes later that the sound of jingling and hooves, slowly, but surely, reached the girl's ears. She gave a small attempt to see who it was but, nothing further. Snow dust was blocking some of her view and at this point Robin didn't care if the Witch found her. Except when would Jadis keep the bells, if she is after three of the most important kids in Narnia? The only other person Robin knew to use bells and a slay was...but that's impossible. He hasn't been seen...

"Robin, I know you're in there." The voice was kind and caring, and very familiar. "And just so you know, I am not a figment of your imagination." Robin reached a hand out and grabbed the outside bark of the tree. She slowly pulled herself up and out.

There standing standing before her, was none other than Father Christmas. "Merry Christmas, sir." She said as her hands gripped at the wood for support.

"It certainly is, Robin, since they have arrived." Robin smiled, this gave her some news that they were alive. "They thought I was the Witch."

"I wonder why." She chuckled and so did her. "Although I don't think the Witch would keep her bells."

"No, I expect she hasn't." Father Christmas looked Robin up and down. "Are you all right?"

"Exhaustion." She answered with a small, but weak smile.

"Ah, yes well let me fix that." He walked to his slay and pulled out a large bag of presents. After rummaging through it, he brought out a small glass of water and a sword. On the hilt was a head of a panther with it's mouth open and it's teeth bared. "The water for your thirst and the sword for your protection." He handed the water to her, but held the sword as she slowly drank the vase. "That water will also quench your thirst for many days to come. It may even be longer than that." He handed over the sword as she handed him the glass. He simply dropped it onto the ground and it vanished.

"Thank you, sir." She said, then looked at the sword. She pulled out the blade and admired the craftsmanship. From the top of the hilt to about mid way up the sword's blade on one side an inscription read:

'A friend is like an owl, both beautiful and wise.'

And on the other side:

'Where would we be in this world if we didn't have a friend?'

"A friend is like an own, both beautiful and wise. Where would we be in this world if we didn't have a friend?" Robin read aloud, her thoughts straying to when a great friend had said this to her, but now he was gone. Father Christmas nodded.

"I will give you the same warning I gave them, although I dare doubt you'll need it."

"And what is that?" She pushed the hilt to the edge of the sheath.

"This is a tool, not a toy." Robin was already quietly chuckling. "Bear it well and wisely." He looked around him and smiled. "Now, I must be off." He picked up his bag and tossed it back into the slay. "Winter is almost over, and things do pile up when you've been gone a hundred years." He chuckled. Then turned to Robin. "Long live Aslan!" He laughed his might laugh and climbed aboard his ride. "And Merry Christmas!" He whipped the reins and his deer went off.

"Merry Christmas!" Robin called after him.

She looked down at the new sword once more, then at her old one. After thinking for a little time, she took her old sword off the belt and replaced it with the new one. Then picking up her old one she un-sheathed it and stared at the blade. "Thank you for your years of service." She told it. "Now, rest as I will one day soon." Taking the hilt in both hands, she shoved it into the snow and under that to the hard earth below. The blade gave a small ringing noise as it waved back and forth. She placed the sheath in the hallow tree. She thanked the tree for it's warm, then left on her way.

'Winter is almost over.' Played in her ears. "The River!" And she took off, as she went her bones creaked and groaned, then soon the young blonde haired girl disappeared and a black panther replaced her.