Past's Present I

🌻Mia's P.O.V🌻
My thumb absentmindedly turned the metal object that occupied my forth finger as my eyes focused on my front door where yet another stranger slipped in casually greeting me before disappearing down the hall and in the direction of Lucas' office. It was currently day two of Lucas' marathon meetings with strange men the reason behind them he claims to be routine which occurs annually but I knew Lucas and nothing about these meetings were normal or routine.

"Luna do you want to go for a walk?" Cole asked on entering the kitchen successfully snapping me out of my suspicious thoughts.

"No thank you Cole." I snapped at the young boy only because I was tired of him following me around and also knew that was a direct order from Lucas in his attempt to get me out the house. Leaning fully against the counter with my back towards the door I rolled my eyes when I heard the door open and close for the thousandth time for the morning sighing when my eyes settled on the sparkling object which symbolized a commitment I was now questioning.

—————Flashback—————
I sat silently enjoying the rap song that leaked from the stereo system as Lucas sped down the clear highway. The days last rays of the sun bathed the evening skies painting it a warm pinkish orange color darkening in intensity with every minute. My fingers made a tight knot where they sat on my lap due to the stifling tension in the cramped space. Lucas was ignoring me because I refused to tell him what his drunk ex who's name I now know is Chloe said to me at the club. 

"You missed our turn off." I pointed out to the petty man who sat next to me earning me a quick glimpse and a stiff nod of his head.

"I know." He answered a few seconds later accelerating I'm guessing to wordlessly prove a point.

"Okay so where are you going? There is only one way to get into Clayton which we just passed at a hundred and thirty miles an hour." I asked smirking slightly because I knew I was irritating him.

"Mia instead of asking me questions why don't you sit there and when you're ready to tell me the truth, then and only then I'd be willing to have a conversation with you." He snapped earning himself a tired huff.

I will admit that I was wrong for not being fully honest with Lucas about what she said to me but the truth is my pride and fear got the best of me. Pride seeing that a part of me knew that she was right and unknowingly so was Lucas' decision when he first saw me. All my life I've worked hard and prided myself on my strength and resilience which have always been the aspects of my personality that pushed me to achieve my dreams. I don't know how to be weak yet I now found myself in a world that only sees me as a liability because of my biological make up. The fact that I know Lucas thinks the same way about me is sickening even though he'd deny it. At this point even I wished he'd rejected me when he said he would.

The fear however more so deals with the possibility of what she said actually coming through. Oddly I wasn't fearful for myself but strangely I feared the effect it would have on Lucas more so. Rapidly blinking to clear the useless tears that gathered in my eyes sitting up in my warm seat I tuned so my eyes were trained on the blurred vegetation instead of Lucas as the words left my mouth.

"She said that they were going to come for me and that I was going to die because ...," I drawled my voice going low in an attempt for him to miss what I was saying even though I knew it was humanly impossible. "You're the most powerful Alpha in the country and everybody now knows that I'm your weakness. The first part I think she was just referring to you walking up to me at the club and you honestly don't have to worry about anything because I'm not afraid of death and Chloe basically told me what I already knew." I explained nonchalantly shrugging in hopes of softening the murderous glare he now had focused on me.