Undying Truths

🌻Mia's P.O.V🌻
Chloe.
The only word that registered in my mind before it went blank.
My breathing halted naturally. I guess in that moment it was my body's way of internalizing my reaction. My shaking hands and still breath the only evidence of the indescribable pain that held my body in its tight grasp. My heavy heart sank with the weight as she silently looked at me knowingly. Her vibrant blue eyes held mine as though she knew that I was silently dying before her. As if she knew that what she had with Lucas was more than I'd ever have. As if she knew I'd never have what she now has. As if she knew why. Most likely she knew the exact reason.

Releasing a shaky breath I squared my shoulders quickly applying a plastic smile onto my lips. In all my days on the face of this earth I'd never allowed anybody to gain the satisfaction of hurting me. I'm not saying that I'd never been hurt in the past because admittedly we all have and that may never change but I never allowed anybody to see the effect they had on me and I wasn't about to change that today.

"I'd go fetch him for you." I offered politely earning myself a low thanks from the heavily tattooed woman before me. Three steps were all I got to make before Ace ran past me and into his mother's arms with a joyful squeal.

"How's my baby?" She asked holding her son in her tight grasp her eyes though remained on Lucas. The frozen man stood his glassy eyes holding hers and the thought finally occurred to me ... Was Lucas still in love with her?

Maybe, I was overreacting or maybe I was finally seeing the bigger picture where all of my questions finally made sense and were answered. Whether these answers would bring peace of  mind or my own ruining was undecided for now.

"Go tell your Dad bye." Chloe whispered setting the young boy down allowing him to happily run to his father's frozen frame. Lucas slowly bent forward almost robotically holding the child in a brief hug releasing him he wordlessly left the room not once sparing a glance at my unsettled frame stuck to the wall.

"I hope to see you again Aunt Mia." Ace chirped smiling up at me before wrapping my legs in a warm hug.

"I do too sweetie." I whispered placing a kiss on his cheek causing his smile to brighten before running over to his mother interlocking hands they left out the front door. I'd silently wished my negative thoughts could've somehow stuck to Chloe and left with her but of course they didn't instead they'd rooted deep within me corrupting everything I once thought I knew was true.

                                                        ————————————
🐾Lucas' P.O.V🐾
Turning the shower to the left a frustrated sigh pushed past my lips as my tense muscles  tightened doing the opposite of what a hot bath was supposed to do as images of the dumb look on her face replayed in my mind. She wore the exact expression when I saw her three days after she'd left. I'd imagined it was what guilt looked like on her. I imagined the look on her face was what knowing that she'd destroyed an already broken person looked like. That was four years ago and she'd worn the exact expression again as she repeated the action once more.

Shaking my head slightly I hurriedly stepped out of the shower refusing to think about my past but that was before I walked into the room and found Mia. Proudly sitting in the middle of the bed crossed legged her hands covering her face as hold messages left her phone speaker in the form of a woman singing about the warmth of the islands.

"What are you doing?" I asked though I subconsciously knew the answer. Her head snapped up revealing tired red eyes, her shoulders lifting momentarily before dropping her head following as she returned to her original position. Taking a calming breath I refused to allow the fact that she ignored my question to anger me.