ONE

Campout Gone Wrong

I'LL TELL YOU one thing: be glad that you are normal.

Of course you may think that having this supernatural power is all that and more but you never know if that power could be the only thing that can save the universe one day.

Okay, let me backtrack a little bit.

"An ancient evil force has come to power. In order to defeat it, you must find and assemble aMandla okuThula."

I jolted awake from my slumber and immediately felt my head come in contact against something. I layed back down on my bed with a groan and massaged my now aching forehead.

"Tanana, are you alright?"

The left side of my bed dipped and I didn't even need a second to realize that it was my best friend.

We've known each other ever since pre-school when my step father and I moved to Cape Town because of him and the bitch's break up (long story, no time). Since then, we've been each other's glue and I consider her more a sister than a best friend.

Hence why I'm at her house.

In a couple of weeks, I'm going on a getaway and touring around the world for a couple of months for my writing course for my third year of university - I know I'm only turning nineteen mid year but I'm a smart kid, what can I say? - so the week before I was due to pack my room since I'd be living in the dorms when we return, I begged my dad to let me stay over, as she did with her mom.

Which is why I'm currently cursing the dream I had on her huge bed with her mom right next door.

"I'm alright, Dani. I just-"

"Had that dream again?" she interjected as she squeezed my hand. "How long has this been going on for?"

"Almost a month now," I whined, sitting up on my bed, and raked my hands through my short, black hair. "It's always the same thing. My dreams may start off normally then all of a sudden, this freaky ass lady appears out of nowhere and starts speaking isiZulu to me-"

"Be glad that you can understand what she's saying," Jordan giggles. "Anyway, I'm going downstairs to get you painkillers and some ice, I'll be right back."

Before I could blink, she was out of her room, leaving me to my own thoughts.

Who is that lady and what does she want from me?
Am I just going mental?
I swear only eighteen year olds go through this kind of hormonal issues.

My thoughts went as far as me wondering how cheese is made by the time Jordan came back.

"Well, I almost woke up my mom when I tried to sneak downstairs but I made it out alive," she joked as I took the pills from her and popped on in my mouth.

"I need to properly thank your mom for letting me stay over for the weekend," I mumbled before gulping down my water. "I mean, it's not everyday I get to go on a tour out of the country."

"But it's going to be everyday that I can't see you until after your birthday," she whispered sadly.

I rolled my eyes, tears already welling at the mere mention of my tour. "Dani, don't be like that, please."

She shrugged. "I'm just stating the truth. I don't know how long you'll be gone for and when I'll get to see you again and I don't want to lose you while you're so far away. Tanana, I refuse to deal with that—"

I threw myself to Jordan and wrapped her in a tight hug, recieved an almost immediate response.

"There is something called phones, you know?" I joke, trying to lighten up the mood. When I pull back, I see her close to tears but smiling wide. "No matter what, I will not loose contact with you. Trust me, alright?"