THREE

The Origin Story

I WOKE UP TO the sound of a marimba and flute melody playing softly in the background. My head was rested on something soft and fluffy and I could feel a breeze irritating my stomach.

But as soon as I opened my eyes, everything was white and I was lying on the cold, hard ground. [OH!]

I sat up and scanned my eyes over the blank area, not even able to see the difference between sky and floor. I craned my neck to get a sign of something above me, maybe an image of a sort, but nothing came up. The music playing in the background continued but that was about it.

"Freaky," I said, standing up from the floor. "Am I still in that weird ass dream?"

I unzipped my onesie from yesterday and wrapped the sleeves around my waist to make makeshift pants. The vest I was wearing was torn from the stinger I 'fought'. I made a 360 before walking off to ... wherever I was walking to, holding my hands out in front of me in case I was about to knee something again.

"Might as well take a look around until I reach where I'm destined to be," I thought out loud, my voice slightly echoing in the white room.

I continued walking straight ahead, my mind everywhere else but where I was now.

"Hoseok!" I shouted with my hands cupped around my mouth. "Hoseok, are you here?"

When I realized that I was alone, the silence became unbearable. Goosebumps began to appear on my open arms from the sudden cold and the fear of not knowing where I was.

"Wasn't this were I was before going to camp?" I wondered out loud, still aimlessly walking as I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. "Maybe that was just a dream, too. But if it was real, did I die? This seems like a judgement day kind of situation."

"You're not dead, idiot."

"SURRENDER OR DIE!" I screamed while jumping and turning mid air, landing in a battle stance. My fists were raised to fight who or whatever just spoke behind me.

The person giggled. "Oh, please, girl. Don't make me laugh."

"You just did," I retorted, taking the chance to look her up and down. "You're a girl?"

I was thrown off by the woman before me decked out in a simple large white tee and blue ripped jeans before me. Her black boots matched her curly, chin-length hair and her eyes ... They kept shifting from a dark green to a bright purple, as if they were born the wrong colour and were struggling to choose one.

She propped one arm against her hip. "What, are my breasts not big enough?"

"Compared to mine, probably not."

I started laughing when I saw her annoyed expression, holding my stomach to contain myself, when I felt my skin flare up in pain. I choked and removed my hand from my body as if I just touched a hot stove, blood covering my palm.

"I think I can help with your injury," the girl said, walking closer to me with her palms up. "May I try something?"

"Go ahead," I whispered in pain, grabbing her shoulder for support, "but if you mutate me into something else, I will eat you alive."

She rolled her eyes. "Trust me, I know what I'm doing."

She hovered her hand right above the open wound and a purple glow came from it as she muttered something under her breath. After a few minutes of dead silence the glow disappeared and I felt no weird tingle on my stomach anymore.