THIRTY SIX

A Best Friend's Worry

The power of portals is amazing sometimes.

Jordan stepped through the red and black abyss to the bathroom of the barbeque house, a place all to familiar to her for her liking. She shredded her formal wear from her meeting with the twins and dressed in a plan black shirt with skinny jeans and a large white hoodie, her wavy brown hair done in a high bun. A simple enough outfit to make her a little harder to spot.

She walked out of the restaurant, wand in pen form twirling around her fingers as she waited outside for Thanda to arrive. Her thoughts were a bit busier than usual because of her call.

She sounded way too worried for it to just be out of "stupidity". What if those idiots did something to her? Is she finally going to let loose on how she feels about me? Holy crap, what if she is? That ruins the whole plan. I didn't think I'd lose her so soon.

A tap on her shoulder brought her out of her thoughts. She turned left to see a flurry of people, then chuckled and turned right where Thanda was standing with a cheeky grin.

"When was the last time you use that old trick on me?" Jordan asked, sounding slightly amused.

"The spring fair in grade 9, before we broke off for exams. I believe you threatened to tell my dad about my fanfictions if I didn't stop that," Thanda retold, a wide grin on her face.

"I'm guessing you're still writing, then?"

Thanda shook her head and shrugged as she spoke. "With everything that's been going on, I haven't found the time or had the energy."

Jordan nodded, noticing how the tone of the conversation took a dark turn.

"We should probably go inside," Thanda mumbled, walking past her towards the entrance.

Jordan grabbed her upper arm and pulled her towards the street. "I said we'll meet here, I didn't say we're eating here. By the way you sounded when you called me, you clearly need some chocolate in your system."

She could only guess Thanda's eyes glistened over appreciatively at her words.

They walked together in silence, Thanda following behind Jordan as they weaved between the busy streets. After ten minutes of silence between them, Jordan lead Thanda into a small cafe, immediately greeting the woman behind the counter as if they've known each other for some time.

"Hana, get me a usual and a large cup of hot chocolate, extra creamy. Leave the sugar for us to put in."

"Coming right up!" she replied cheerfully, getting to work on the drinks.

Thanda took a look around the cafe. There were only five or six black tables, each with four red comfortable chairs around them. There were only two other people inside at that moment, talking to each other with love struck looks in their eyes.

She smiled at the sight. They look so happy.

"Anyone you're thinking about there?"

Thanda elbowed Jordan in her side, a usual reaction to her teasing comments. Had her skin been light, her blush would've been clear as day.

Jordan giggled, then walked ahead to the table closest to the window. She gestured for Thanda to take the seat opposite her and they waited silently and awkwardly for someone to say something.

"Here are your drinks, ladies!" Hana piped cheerfully, putting down two large mugs in front of them with the sugar, sweetener and milk in the middle. "Hope you enjoy."