IX. Morning Surprises (edited)

Goodbyes were always the hardest part. Always.

"Babe, I have to go," I muttered against Madison's soft lips as he feverishly kissed me. We'd parked in the back of the soccer fields so that no one could see us and we'd already had our goodbye kisses back at my house, but as soon as I went to unbuckle my seatbelt, Madison's lips were on mine. And they'd remained on mine for the past four minutes.

"Fine," he grumbled before he placed one more lingering kiss on my lips. "But you better text me tonight."

"I will," I smiled before I looked at my reflection in the rearview mirror. My hair was messy from Madison's hands, but my hair looked messy all the time. My lips were a tad puffy, but it wasn't too noticeable, and if push came to shove, I could blame it on my "sickness". But the hickies, good God the hickies, Mads had given me were safely hidden below the high neck of my shirt, hidden but still making me giddy like a school girl.  Luckily, I'd been able to break into my house through my bedroom window and grab my uniform and my actual house key so that I could refrain from breaking in again. Was it technically breaking in if I lived there?

"See you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow," Madison repeated as I grabbed my soccer bag from the back seat then sprinted to the fields where the boys were slowly starting to trickle in.

"Hey Noah," Connor greeted as I approached the group.

"Hey Con," I responded.

"Where were you at school today?"

"I didn't feel too good, but I'm better now."

"Alright, just don't push yourself too hard, okay?"

"Okay, mom," I said, causing him to punch me in the shoulder. I laughed.

"Alright boys. Let's start with a few stretches to get warmed up then let's run five laps before we get into a few drills." Groans rang out from the boys and Connor narrowed his eyes. That boy loved running his laps and took it extremely personal if he even thought someone was disrespecting his beloved pass time.

"Just for that, we're going to make it ten," he announced, causing the group to look at me for help.

"Noah," a boy named Henry whinned in an effort to get me to go against Connor, but I knew better. I valued my life too much.

I shrugged.

"You heard your co-captain. Ten it is."

I saw Connor smile out of the corner of my eye and I instantly regretted it. When I gave Connor an inch he tried to take the whole freaking world. But luckily I kept an eye on him and we only did ten laps around the huge field. Practice then continued as usual with rough plays, swears, and boys being boys. I continued to check my shirt to make sure that my hickies were covered because I really didn't want to deal with questioning eyes or lie about how they'd gotten there.

As soon as practice was over, I practically ran off the field. I was tempted to ask Madison to drive me home since he'd brought me here, and I was honestly missing him despite seeing him mere hours before. But then I realized I was becoming too dependent on him too quickly so I refrained. I didn't want to scare him off with my clinginess.

After walking over to my car in the pizzeria parking lot and driving home, I took a quick shower then changed into the sweatpants Madison gave me earlier that day, opting to remain shirtless. After that, I called Nonna to check on her since she wasn't home and she explained that she got finished later than she expected to and hated driving in the dark, so she would return tomorrow. As soon as I hung up, I began texting Madison.