XXVIII. Madison's Story (edited)

Hey y'all, I linked the song Hypnotised by Years and Years with this chapter and I think that if you listen to it while you read, it'll really put you in your feels.

***

"That is unacceptable, absolutely disgusting," my Nonna spat as anger took over her features.

"I know, Nonna, but–"

"There's no but's about it, Noah. What that man put you through is awful and those boys on your team..." she trailed visibly growing angrier by the moment. "They need to pay for what they've put you through. Why haven't the police done more yet?"

"Well, actually we're supposed to go down there so Madison can give his statement at..." I trailed as I looked at my watch. "Oh my gosh, right now."

"Wait, what?" Madison questioned as he looked at his phone. "Oh sh–"

"Sorry, Nonna, we have to go," I interrupted as I gave Madison a pointed look for his near slip-up, before I hugged Nonna and kissed her cheek.

"Noah, please be careful. You are always welcome to stay here," she said before she looked at Madison. "Both of you."

Madison smiled. "Thank you ma'am."

"You're welcome, Madison." She took his hand and held it tight. "Be strong. You can do this."

Madison silently nodded.

"I'll see you later, Nonna. Love you."

"I love you too," she called before I grabbed Madison and we hurried out the door and back into Madison's car.

"W-Wait, I'm not ready," Madison stammered as we closed the car doors around us. "I thought I had more time and it was a lot telling your Nonna just now, and now I'll have people asking me a ton of questions and–"

"Baby, calm down," I softly said as I gently cupped his cheeks between my hands and looked him in the eyes. "Breathe with me, okay?" I took a deep breath despite the pain it brought me, and held it until Madison copied then let it out. "Good, baby. Just keep doing it with me, 'kay?" Madison silently nodded as we continued, our eyes locked with each other the whole time. After a few moments, Madison let out a final breath before he reached over the middle console and wrapped his arms around me. Despite our awkward position, he buried his face into my shoulder.

"Promise me you won't leave?" he softly said more as a question than a statement.

I held him tighter. "I've said it before and I will say it as many times as you need to hear it: I love you and I'm never leaving you, especially not now. Okay?" He held me for a few more moments before he pulled away, his eyes glassy and red.

"I just...I hate living through it over and over again. Just feeling it and recognizing that it...it was my father..." His hands slightly started shaking and his breathing became erratic once more. I held his hands in my own and rested my forehead on his.

"I know, Madison. I know. I feel that fear and hatred and confusion and sadness every time I even think about what we went through, but knowing that you're with me helps me cope with it a bit. Don't hold it in, Mads. I'm here for a reason."

He nodded against my forehead before he moved his head and he gently rubbed his nose gently against mine, a comfort move. I gave his hand a slight squeeze before he pulled away but he kept his hand in mine. After a few moments he sighed and nodded.

"Ok, I'm ready just..." he trailed as he held my hand tighter, his actions finishing his sentence for him. I started the car before we drove the short distance to the police station. After I parked the car, I looked over to Madison. He was pale and obviously nervous.