XXIX. Tumbles and Truths (edited)

I let out a sigh of relief as I finished my last sheet of homework for the week. It had been almost a week since Madison gave his statement at the police station, and needless to say, I hadn't left his side.

And he hadn't left mine.

Connor had been coming to drop off my work and I'd texted Mr. Hill to let him know what had been going on and got a very strongly worded response regarding what he was going to do to my ex-teammates and Madison's dad. It was hard to convince him not to, not only because I didn't want him to get into legal trouble, but because a part of me wanted him to do it. Yesterday he'd come and dropped off some cookies he and John had made for us and endlessly offered to help with anything he could from food to money. Mr. Hill was like a father to me and I loved him for it.

I looked over at Madison who was sitting next to me on the couch with my legs resting in his lap and his computer on top of my legs, his eyebrows furrowed and glasses that he looked incredibly hot in balancing on the bridge of his nose. He was adorable. He'd already caught up on all his class work he'd been missing and now he was trying to busy himself, and I couldn't blame him. Our court date was tomorrow and he was terrified. I was too, but I tried to hide it to keep him from worrying. But he needed a better distraction than school work. And I knew exactly what he needed.

I carefully moved my legs so that they were free from under his computer before I scooted closer to him and carefully took his laptop from him and set it on the coffee table. "Babe..." he trailed as I straddled his lap and slung my arms over his shoulders.

"Hmm?" I hummed as I leaned a bit closer, but not close enough that our bodies were touching. He softly placed his hands on the low of my back, silently urging me to keep doing what I was doing. I smiled before I ran a hand through his hair. "I want to do something with you," I softly said. He hummed in response as he leaned into me so that his face was buried in my neck and his arms were securely around me. "Something fun. Something to tell the world that you're mine and I love you and that I don't care what anyone thinks." He hummed again as he placed a soft kiss on the base of my throat, causing my mind to fill with the white noise it always did when Madison found just the right place on my body. "Madison, you better stop before I throw all our plans out the window and keep you in here forever."

He moved so that we were now face to face. "I don't think that's such a bad idea," he said, his voice scratchy from its lack of use, before his lips viciously attacked mine. I tightly gripped his neck as he shifted us so that I was trapped between him and the sofa. It was like we were animals, moving purely off of instinct instead of reason. And I loved it.

Madison was in the middle of roughly feeling me over when our weight changed and my eyes snapped open realizing what was happening.

"Madison–!" I tried to make out as our bodies tumbled off the narrow couch onto the floor. We both erupted in laughter as Madison slung an arm over his eyes and he slightly blushed though he was still laughing.

"I'm sorry. I got carried away," he said with a chuckle once we sobered up.

"It's fine," I said with a chuckle as well. A comfortable silence fell over us and we just laid there staring at each other. "You okay?" I softly asked after a few moments.

"Yeah, we didn't tumble that hard–"

"That's not what a meant," I pressed. "Ever since your statement you've been so...quiet and distant. I know it's a lot but...I just want to make sure you're okay."

He gave me a half-hearted grin as he craned his neck up and gently kissed my lips. "I'm fine, thanks. I just...I don't like talking about my mom. Usually it doesn't affect me so much, but times like this make me wonder if things would've turned out different if she were here. Would she support me? Would she cast me out like my dad? I know I shouldn't care, but I can't help it."