XXIV. Statements and Forevers (edited)

"It's unfortunately what I expected," Emma said with a sigh as she entered my hospital room. I'd just gotten finished with my MRI less than an hour ago and Madison and I were watching the best show the hospital had to offer: Law and Order SVU. In the short period of time, we'd traded our hospital bandages for magnifying glasses– we were amazing at figuring out who committed the crime before the characters did.

Connor had left about ten minutes ago to comfort Abbi after an eternity of me assuring him that I understood and wasn't mad. "You have not only one broken rib, but two." Madison's jaw clenched as he sat on my bed next to me, causing me to gently run my thumb over his knuckles in a comforting matter in order to calm him down. "But luckily with the proper medicines and breathing exercises, we will have you whipped back into shape. It's going to hurt and unfortunately we can't wrap them or anything like that because that will hurt you more than help you. However, your shallow oxygen levels still worry me. They're worse than they should be, so I'm going to keep you on oxygen for another day or two and when that straightens itself out, we can discharge you, okay?"

I nodded. "That's great, thank you." She nodded in response before she left. Madison opened his mouth to say something, likely containing the words "kill" and "Trey" with other words sprinkled in there, but I caught him before he could. "I'm fine Madison," I assured. "There's no need for you to get arrested for assault."

He sighed and reluctantly stayed quiet. It made me a bit giddy to see him so worked up over me.

"Okay, but rest assured, if the justice system doesn't handle them, I will."

"I know you will," I said with a chuckle as I squeezed his hand and leaned back into my bed. I couldn't wait to go home. Madison's apartment. They had become one and the same to me.

I was about to open my mouth to say something else when suddenly there was a knock on my door. "Police department, may we come in?" A deep male voice that I didn't recognize called from the other side of the door, causing me to tense up. I was supposed to give my statement today. I held on tighter to Madison's hand.

"Y-Yes. Come in," I made out as Madison gave me a concerned look. Almost instantly, two men in their late forties to early fifties walked in with one holding a video camera and tripod.

"Hello," one said, the one who'd called from the other side of the door. "My name is Officer Walker and this here is Officer Herold." They extended their hands to shake with me then Madison which we shook.

"Nice to meet you," Madison said as he shook their hands with his free hand. "I'm Madison and this is Noah."

"Hello, boys," Officer Walker said as he took a seat across from us and pulled out a notepad while Herold set up the camera and tripod. They didn't seem at all concerned about our interlocked hands, which I was grateful for. "Noah, today we'll be conducting a video statement. Are you alright with that, or would you rather give a written statement?"

"This is fine," I said, my voice shaking a bit as what happened to me began playing over and over again in my mind. I held Madison tighter.

Officer Walker looked at Officer Herold. "Are we ready?"

He nodded.

"Good. Now, Madison, could you please leave the room so you won't directly or indirectly interfere with Noah's–"

"No," I quickly said, cutting off Officer Walker, causing all eyes to instantly land on me. My cheeks became warm as I looked down. "It's just...I feel safer when Madison is around and I need him here with me so I can get through this."

"I promise I won't interfere," Madison pleaded. "I don't want to leave him alone."

Officer Herold looked at Officer Walker who sighed and nodded. "Alright you can stay, but don't say anything until instructed to do so, okay?"