XIII. Caught (edited)

"Sbrigati (Hurry up), Noah! We're already late!" Nonna urged as I parked the car as if she wasn't the reason we were late. I'd warned her that once she started a series on Netflix, she wouldn't want to stop but she didn't want to listen so she learned it the hard way.

"Okay, okay, Nonna. Calmati (calm down)," I said with a slight chuckle as I unbuckled my seatbelt then hers before getting out and walking over to her side of the car in order to help her get into church. Luckily, due to my timely driving, we were only five minutes late and even then, service was just starting up. We offered polite waves and light hugs to our friends as we made our way to the pews, but as we got closer and closer to our seats, I felt my heartrate increase. I felt out of place. I was dating someone now: another boy, and I knew that if my church found out they'd lose their minds even though my devotion and love for God hasn't changed or waivered one bit. That was partially why I didn't come the previous Sunday because I was scared that I'd somehow manage to slip up and be exposed, but I couldn't hide myself forever. Like they said; somethings are between you and God, and you and God only. This was one of those things. Hopefully, he wouldn't judge me too harshly about something I didn't choose.

"Oh look, there's a seat next to Gracie and Mrs. Grant," Nonna pointed out where they were in the fourth row, paying close attention to the choir as they warmed up and began to sing. I nodded before silently leading her to her desired place, her frail old voice lightly humming along with the choir as they began their first song. Gracie and Mrs. Grant offered silent hellos as they continued singing with the choir, Nonna sitting next to Mrs. Grant and me next to Gracie. It could've just been me, but I could've sworn her hand kept brushing against mine...more times than an "accident" could cover.

After a few songs, claps filled the air and we all took our seats as Pastor Daniel took his place behind the pulpit. "You can have a seat," he announced, and almost simultaneously, we all followed his direction. "Today, we're going to talk about something that not only I, but many of God's children around the world are concerned about. But before I tell you exactly what it is, will you all turn to Genesis chapter two verse twenty-four. When you have found this, please stand if you are able." The shuffling of Bible pages filled the air as people began standing.

"Hey, Gracie. Can we share? In all the rush this morning I forgot mine at home," I whispered as she too found the chapter.

"Of course," she smiled as we stood up, with her shoulder pressed against mine.

"Amen," Pastor said once he saw that everyone–minus the elderly like my grandmother and Mrs. Grant who couldn't get up and down as easily as the rest of us–were standing then continued, "Starting in Genesis chapter two verse twenty-four, the Bible says, 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh'. Before I elaborate on why I chose this verse, let us now go to the book of Ephesians chapter five verse twenty-five. When you get there, please say amen. "

"What do you think he's getting at?" I whispered to Gracie as I took the Bible and flipped to our instructed destination.

"I have no idea, but I think it's going to be good. His sermons always are," she whispered before I ended up at the correct passage.

"Amen," we both said simultaneously.

After a few moments, Pastor Daniel continued. "And it says, 'For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her.. You may all be seated." We did as we were told. "Now, back to what I was originally talking about: there is a plague on this world and it has grown exponentially over the past few years, and despite multiple churches' efforts, these people refuse to give up their sinful lifestyles in order to partake the goods that God promises. Ask me who am I talking about."