Chapter 16

"Okay, I will tell the boys. Make sure she gets some rest." Elder Kettle replied to Dice over the phone. "Boys, Come here."

"Yes?" Cuphead said as Mugman trailed behind him.

"Dice is okay and asked for us to hold down the fort. He is taking care of Porsha at the moment." Elder kettle explained and Mugman asked why.

"Is it because of her legs again? She just glued them together yesterday." 

"Yeah, but she is made of porcelain and that is fragile." Cuphead replied and Mugman nodded.

"But we are porcelain too, but we don't break as much." Mugman said and Elder Kettle corrected him.

"You two are made of porcelain and pottery, so, you boys are extra tough. Miss Porsha is like a china doll. Very fragile if she gets in a scrap or jumble."

"What if we get the stuff to make her not break easily?" Cuphead asked and their grandfather chuckled.

"You boys are sweet to think of helping her, but sometimes it isn't that simple."

Dice carried Porsha to her apartment and she unlocked the door. He opened it while he sat her down on the couch. He locked the door behind them and went into the kitchen and grabbed the first aid kit. Porsha gripped his sleeve as he walked by her to try and get something off the shelf. 

"Hey, it's okay." Dice said looking down at her. She didn't say anything and pointed to her room. "Wait...do you want to lay down...in the bed?" Porsha nodded, he picked her up, and carried her to the bedroom. He propped up the pillows for her and laid her down gently.

"You alright?" He asked as he brought in the kit and the book.

"...door, please..." She said to him softly and he understood.

After closing the door Dice saw her take in a deep staggering breath. She was stressed, she shouldn't have gone out there, but she was too worried about him. Dice knew his house of cards could hold off the Wolfpack for a short time, but knew the whistle was the last resort. Why would he give this back to him? How did Porsha even get this or have the time to talk to the demon himself? Dice realized that she had always work long sleeves and skirts, but that was due to the weather.

"Porsha." Dice's voice made her look straight at him. "How did you see the Devil and why did he give you this?"

"I was walking in the woods and stumbled upon the old remains of the casino. Fire surrounded me, which caused my body structure to become brittle, and the Devil handed me this. He told me to give it to you and I just did." Porsha explained and Dice laid out one of her legs straight.

"That hellfire is no joke. When did this happen?" He asked while taking off her shoes.

Porsha wenched in pain, causing him to stop. "Keep going love, I have been in worse shape before." Dice continued as she explained further. "It happened about three days ago. I actually got hurt the day after while helping move some heavy items to the library."

"Why didn't you get a cart?" He asked her, noticing her feet and calves were crackled like a broken plate.

"...I did, but I fell...you know how clumsy I was that day..." Porsha realized he could see her legs and gripped her skirt.

"Is all this from...being exposed to fire?" His voice was filled with worry as he looked up. She shook her head, contradicting his question. He saw how her hands were gripping tightly onto her skirt and sat down on the bed beside her. "Porsha, what happened? I am alright if you don't want to say anything, but I can't help you if you don't tell me what's goin' on."