His Father's Son (Part One)

(Kylie Pov)

I walked into the elementary school's front office. The principal called me and said that Charlie was being suspended for two weeks. Let me point out he's in 1st grade. How does a 7 year old get suspended? How?

"Ms.Douglas! How are you today?" The principal, Mr. Marshall. "I've been better. How are you?" I sat down looking at Charlie. "So, before I sent Charlie home, I wanted to make sure I showed you why he's going home." I nodded.

Mr. Marshall clicked a couple of things on his laptop before turning it to show me. I saw Charlie yelling at some girl across the room.

On the Tape

"Charlie sit down, now!" Ms. Kyle yelled. "Nah she keep talking shit. That's why you shop at Old Navy and your teeth shop at the gap. Yeehaw headass lil girl. You look like a donkey!" Charlie yelled as he stood on his chair.

"Mr. Brown sit-" Ms. Kyle started. "Shut up before my daddy buys this school and fire yo bald ass. 'Mr. Brown' yeah you got my name right. Seems like the only thing you know cause you don't know whatever you trynna teach. Why the hell you teaching? You complain more than anything. Shut up before I get my mama to come slap you." He yelled as his face turned red.

Then the principal came in and picked him up before leaving.

End of tape

I was so shocked. I've never seen him act like that." Charlie why are you acting like this? This is not ok, when we get home, you're gonna get real comfortable with my belt. Matter of fact when we get home I want you to go in the backyard and find me a switch. You want to be yelling and disrespecting people, I want to see how much yelling you do when this switch hit that ass. Mr. Marshall have a good day, tell Ms.Kyle I said sorry for him and he'll never do it again. Maurice getcho ass outside."

I walked out holding on to him by his ears he got feom his father. "But mama she started it. If she wouldn't have put her 2 cents in my business and said stuff to me then I wouldn't have said anything to her." Charlie said getting in the car.

I got in and immediately drove off. "Charlie there is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself. By all means stand up for yourself and what you believe in at all costs. In this day and age that's what the world needs. But this is the same girl thats always messing with you. At this point just ignore her, because they never catch whatever wrongs she's doing and you always end up as the bad guy." I said as I looked back and forth from his and the road.

"So am I still getting a whooping?" He asked hopefully. "Oh of course. You thought you were getting out of it? Hahaha a joke. You and your father have that in common." I said laughing. "I'm telling him when he calls." I rolled my eyes, "You want my phone so you can call and tell him? Lord knows when he'll call. When's the last time he called?" I asked giving him my phone.

"Last week. But he said he was going to have problems calling because of his phone plan." I nodded and returned my viee to the road. "All that damn money and he can't get a good phone service. Bullshit." I mumbled.

*********

I pulled up to my house and told Charlie to go check the mail before we go inside. "Mama I got a letter from Papa!" Charlie said running up to me. Papa is what he calls my boyfriend... Or ex boyfriend... It's complicated right now. He's in jail for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He should be coming home next month though. "Well do you wanna read it before or after you sleep?" I asked shutting the front door. His face dropped knowing what I was alluding to.

The routine with him is I whoop him, he cries for a while and won't speak to anyone for at most 30 minutes, then he'll come in my room and get in bed with me and fall asleep. Then he'll wake up a couple of hours later, eat, bathe and go back to sleep. He knows the routine now. At first I cried when I would pop him and so I'd ask Chris to do it or his mom would do it. But now I'm a bit stronger and not a crybaby.

"Since you didn't start this mess I'll give you this option: Do you want the switch or the belt?" I asked sitting on the couch. He looked down at the white dog his father gave him. "Belt, but can I pick." He responded. I nodded and followed him to my room.

*********

I was on my bed streaming Beyoncé's coachella performance and she was doing the damn thing! I heard my door creak open and saw him standing in my door way. He had his mad pout in plain view and he was still hiccuping. He poked out his bottom him and rubbed his eyes.

"Come here, lemme put your hair up before you sleep." He walked up to me and let me pull his curly hair up into a bun. I tore my eyes off as Beyoncé began performing Formation. Charlie got under my comforter and laid his head on my chest. He instantly popped his thumb in his mouth and was out just that quick.

I rubbed his chubby cheek. "My baby boy. I never want you to grow up. I love you more than anything." I whispered as if he could actually hear me.

Tbc