The Right One (Michael B Jordan)

(Georgia 1915)

(Whitney pov)

I followed closely behind my mother and sister. We all had a backet each and were going to the creek so we could wash before daddy and the boys got home.

"Mama how far is it?" I asked, my fret were hurting and I was one bug bite away from loosing my mind. "Chile, you better grow some better limbs, men don't want a woman that gets tired." My mama called back to me. I shook my head. "Good thing I'm not getting married." I mumbled as we finally made it to the creek.

I sat down and began scrubbing the clothes. "What did you say chile? You know I don't do that mumbling mess." My mama said looking at me. "I said good thing I'm not getting married." As soon as I said it my ma jacked me up by the collar of my dress. "Don't you ever let me hear some nonsense like that coming from your mouth."

She released me and went back to her pile of clothes. "Me and your daddy worked our whole lives to provide for y'all kids and you wanna go off and hoe around?" I shool my head. "No mama, but I don't want to be a housewife like you. I want to go out and work for my own things. Not wait around for my husband to come home and have to cook, clean and take care of some mindless kids all day. The only time you even go out is when we come to wash." I said trying to get her to understand.

"And I enjoy it all. What is wrong with you child? What have I done wrong? You are supposed to get married, have kids, take care of your husband. Read the bible sometime and you'll see it yaself." I groaned in annoyance. "Ok so I take care of my family, but who is gonna take care of me? If my husband is working and my kids are at school and I'm taking care of you and daddy who is going to make sure I'm ok?" I asked. "Y'all old people are still living in the slave mentality. Well guess what? I'm not! I'm going to live my life and not be a slave to some man I don't care about. That's nothing but bullshit!" I said throwing the clothes down. I turned to look at my mom and before I knew it she slapped the hell out of me.

I held my cheek as a loud cry escaped my mouth. My sister ran over to me and hugged me tightly."Mama let me take her home. She's obviously sick. You know she'd neva said some crazy things like that. I'll call Doctor James and I'll finish both of our loads." Diane bargained with our mother. She nodded and shoo'd us off.

The walk back home was pretty much silent besides our feet cracking the twigs. Once we made it to the house Diane took me to my room and made me lay down. She went off into the kitchen and made me something to eat. "Here honey, eat this." She said shoving the plate into my hands.

"No, Diane I'm not sick. I'm serious. I don't want to be like these women. I want to have fun in life. I want to travel and work. I don't want to be struggling like mama and daddy are." I said raising up. "Whitney, You can't be saying things like that. You have to do things the way you're supposed to. Don't tell mama or daddy that I told you this ok?" She said. I nodded, "They plan on marrying you off to Mr.Chad day after next." She whispered. "What?!" I yelled. She pushed me down and shushed me.

"I over heard them talking. He has good money sis, you've seen his house."She said trying to make me feel better."He's older than daddy! And he barely has teeth! He's disgusting! You can't let them do this! I can't marry him! I don't even know him! Haven't you heard everyone saying they believe he killed his ex-wife? I can't Diane please. Talk them out of it." Diane was my older sister, she was already starting her new life with some man she met at a diner. She came by every now and then to help us out.

"They don't even know that I know. You can't tell them and I'm not mentioning it. I'm sorry Whitney." I shooed her away. "I'm going to sleep." I said getting under my covers.

(Later in the day)

"Baby girl?" I looked up seeing my dad hovering over me. "Yes?" I raised up and paid attention to whatever he had to say. "Why aren't you out with your mom and sister? Are you ok?" He asked. I shook my head, "I said some things thag upset mama so Diane told me to come home." He nodded. "Well what happened to your cheek?"

He touched it and I pulled back, "Mama got really mad and hit me." His eyes widened before going back to his regular state. "Did you eat? Are you hungry?" He asked rubbing my arm. I shook my head, "I didn't eat. I'm not hungry." I said laying back down. "I just want to be alone." He rubbed my arm before kissing my head. "Ok babygirl. I love you, I'm gonna have some words with your mama." He said before shutting my door.

I can't believe they're going to marry me off to that old man. I can't let this happen.
Tbc