Chapter Nine

Hey guys! I have a present for you! I got bored yesterday, so I made an extra chapter for y'all. BTW, I'll have y'all know that I won't be updating until I get at least a hundred votes total on this entire book. So go and check to make sure you voted on all my chapters! ;)

Sadly, there are no new characters in this chapter. But, it's a funny chapter nonetheless. I had fun writing it! Enjoy!

This chapter is dedicated to Risky_G so that she/he takes my story off her "on hold" reading list ;)

One year ago

 "Dude!" yelled a guy, slamming his shoulder into James as he passed him in the crowded hallway. James turned to watch as he went up to another guy, probably another senior, and fist pumped his friend. "There's some chick down the hall handing out candy for Halloween. It's seriously epic. I've gone past her, like, ten times, and she's still giving me candy. Come on!"

Together, the two boys made their way down the hall towards the girl. Seeing as he was going the same way, James followed them in the margin of space they created behind them, as they used their comparatively larger bodies to push through the crowd. No one liked being pushed, but no one would say anything. They were seniors, after all.

With his newfound impeccable hearing, James heard the crinkle of wrapping paper as they approached the girl.

"Happy Halloween!" chirped the short, dirty blonde, curly-haired girl, handing a candy to each of the guys in front of James. A solemn, somewhat taller, dark-haired girl stood next to her, handing out candy in a morose manner.

The dark-haired girl stuck a hand holding candy in front of his face, and mumbled, "Happy Halloween."

Her friend gasped and turned to her, "Alessia! You're supposed to be happy!"

Alessia groaned and palmed her face. "Sage, I'm tired. Crispin had something going on last night and I couldn't sleep for the longest time. I simply can't be happy."

Sage shot her friend a look and turned to James, who had slowly been making his way away from the strange pair. "Here, let me show you how it's done," Sage told her friend. She snatched the candy James had received just moments before from him. With a frighteningly happy smile, she chirped, "Happy Halloween!" and thrusted the candy in his face once again.

Mildly shocked and horrified, James could only gape at her scarily happy demeanor. Next to him, the dark haired girl, Alessia, began to laugh.

"Oh, my gods," Alessia gasped, between laughs, "Sage, do you see his face?"

Sage's eyes finally made contact with his, and time froze. Alessia's laughter faded into the background. James unconsciously took a step closer to Sage, and she did the same. The candy fell onto the floor, forgotten, as two mates found each other for the first time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Present Day

Sage lay on James' chest, playing with his shirt and listening to him breathe.

“I can never understand why you find that so amusing,” James commented, running his hands through her hair.

“It’s like… you’re mine,” Sage murmured softly. “My heart beat matches yours, Jamie.”

Sage sat up suddenly. “I’m being odd again, aren’t I?”

James followed her, sitting in such a way that she was between his legs. “No, Sage. You’re never odd to me. You’re perfect.”