Chapter Four (full)

Hey, everyone! I'm sorry for the... prank chapter. No, actually I'm not. That was funny. But here's the legit one. Before you read on, the picture on the side is of James, aka Jamie, Sage's mate. I'm having Chronicles of Narnia's William Moseley play him :D

Edit (12/24): This chapter has been re-written below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two weeks after Crispin found Alessia

Crispin watched as the pale dark haired child slowly came to. Her breathing stuttered, and her eyes fluttered open. Those eyes... Crispin frowned. They weren't right. They weren't his mate's. This child, he was certain, was his mate, but those eyes weren't the way they should look. His mate's eyes were distant and cold. It was as though something terrible had sucked out her soul. She was hurt, of that Crispin was certain. And all Crispin wanted to do was mend that hurt.

When he finally came back to earth, he saw those eyes staring at him, silently. He shivered, but immediately felt guilty. Yes, something about them was wrong, but no matter what, this girl was his mate.

"What do you remember?" he asked softly.

The girl blinked. She tilted her head and reached out to touch Crispin's face. "You..." she breathed, and Crispin's heart stuttered, "You saved me. Right?"

Crispin nodded, "Are you alright, now?"

His mate nodded and stared at Crispin. "My name is Alessia," she finally said after a long pause.

Crispin pulled her hand away from his face and held it in his own. "I'm Crispin. I am the alpha of the pack here. You will stay with me."

Alessia looked at him distantly, and, after a while, she nodded. "You will protect me," she stated.

Crispin leaned down and kissed her forehead. "Always."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Present Day

The moment Alessia's mind spoke the word, Crispin felt the bond strengthen. It didn't strengthen by much, just a hair, but acknowledging the bond can do that. Alessia began to feel distant emotions that weren't hers. They were, she was certain, Crispin's. But how was this possible? Crispin was her mate?

Crispin moved his body alongside her and rubbed against her. Alessia, he breathed through their pack-link but just to her. Alessia, mate.

Inside, Alessia's wolf was raging at her. Why wasn't she responding? What did Alessia's foolish human mind see was wrong with such a perfect mate? Alessia's mind whirled with confusion. All these years, all this time, he'd been there. Her mate, Crispin had posed as her father, her mind shrieked.

No, Crispin cried in her head, I never was your father. I never told you I was your father. I was your guardian, your protector, then, now, and always.

Alessia couldn't breath. She couldn't think. What was happening? Why? She couldn't understand anything. So, she did what instinct beckoned. She ran.

She felt rather than saw Crispin's head swing in her direction, and his paws begin to follow her, before halting. Instead, he stayed where he was and watched her leave. Alessia bared her teeth in anger as she ran. He was letting her go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Space. That was what Alessia needed, Crispin convinced himself. He forced himself to drive back home, while keeping a careful note on his mate's whereabouts, in case something happened.