Prologue

A picture of young Alessia on the side. Just change her hair color to dark brown. This is Molly Windsor from some British TV movie called The Unloved. I've never watched it, and probably never will. But her face in the picture below is perfect for exactly how I imagine Alessia in this chapter. Just... I wish her hair was darker. Anyways, enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the age of sixteen, the newly titled Alpha felt on top of the world. After training for a full month, he had won the match against the man who'd killed his family and taken his title. He had rightfully regained his title. Walking the streets simply stroked his already massive ego into a burning inferno. Every wolf he passed inclined their head instinctively at his strong alpha presence, a mixture of alpha blood and the title itself.

But, underneath it all, he felt a sense of loneliness. There was no one to share his victory with. His family had been long dead, and celebrating with the guy friends he had entailed getting drunk, something he was not willing to do this early in his career as an Alpha. It was at times like these that he wished he'd found his mate.

Turning a corner, he noticed a loud rustling sound in the alley ahead and the loud grunts of men. Listening more closely, he heard the sound of flesh hitting flesh and the soft whimper of a child. Instinct took over as he began to run into the alley.

From the edge of the alley, he saw three large rouges beating a small girl.

"Where'd you hide it?! You little prat, answer the question!" yelled a man as he kicked the girl.

The alpha burned with anger. He took a deep breath to calm himself, but it did the opposite, the smell of the girl's fear over took him.

"Hey!" he shouted, "What do you think your doing?"

The trio's heads swung towards him. "None of your business," growled the leader who'd been leaning against the wall and watching with quiet satisfaction. "Walk on."

The alpha narrowed his eyes and growled back at the leader, who flinched. "As alpha of this territory, I have the right to kill all three of you for trespassing. Leave, or be killed."

The two rogues looked towards their leader who nodded. "Go for it." With that, the two men shifted into wolves and attacked the alpha.

The alpha stood his ground and turned slightly, while shifting, allowing him sometime as his two attackers flew past him. Within minutes, both rogues' smaller wolves were unconscious. The leader growled at the alpha. He made a move to jump at the alpha, but, at the last moment, bounded past him and into the growing darkness.

With a sigh of annoyance, the alpha shifted back into a human and changed back into his clothes. A whimper of fear reminded him of why he'd even attacked a bunch of rogues in the first place. He turned around and knelt next to the little girl. He pushed the strands of bloodied hair from her face.

"Hey, my name is Crispin. I swear I'm not going to hurt you," he told her. The girl tried to move away, with a small whimper. He turned her over onto her back to get a better look at her face. The girl was small, maybe about nine years old. Her body was thin, due to what he could only assume was lack of food. Her oddly soulless eyes were drifting shut. Leaning in close to pick her up, he took a deep breath, and then froze. The scent coming from the small girl was different, unusual and enticing. It was the smell he'd been waiting for all his life.

A roaring  in his head chanting mate, caused him to miss the one word the girl said before falling unconscious: Adileh.