Chapter Thirteen

Annyeong haseyo! Hi, everyone! I hope you enjoy this chapter. Landon is on the side ;)

The week Crispin was gone

                 He arrived at the borders of Alpha Donovan’s territory not long after noon. His super epic werewolf speed made him faster than any other living creature, except for a few other werewolves. He was hardly tired. His run made him feel fantastically alive, and it cleared his mind off of the turmoil in his heart over his mate. Alessia, his heart whispered again, and he shook his head.

                He shifted and put on the clothes he had carried on his back. Throwing the bag over his shoulder, he walked out of the woods and started, on foot, towards Alpha Donovan’s territory.

                It didn’t take much longer than five minutes to finally cross the territory line, upon which he was immediately surrounded by wolves. At least his border security is still top-notch as usual, Crispin thought in a slightly sarcastic manner.

                He raised his hands up on a submissive surrender and one of the larger wolves shifted into a tall man. The man bowed his head in a respectful gesture. “Alpha Crispin,” he greeted, “Welcome to our pack lands. We will lead you to the pack house.”

                Crispin nodded in consent and the man shifted back into wolf. While they ran to the pack house, the wolves maintained a circular formation around Crispin. He noticed their slight irritation with his choice to remain in his human form, which was often times slower than the average wolf’s speed, but, as an alpha, he simply didn’t give a damn. He was their superior, and the young pups that were whining towards the wolf that had shifted earlier, from the looks of it, simply needed to learn their place. When the wolf at the head finally gashed his teeth and barked at a pup at the back of the pack, who was creeping up on Crispin’s heels, Crispin couldn’t help but smile with satisfaction.

                When they jogged into the pack clearing, all of the wolves except for one peeled off to shift back into their human forms. Soon, the wolf that had shifted before greeted him. “Alpha Crispin, I am Alpha Donovan’s Beta, Matthew. It’s a pleasure to have you in our territory. If you’ll come this way…”

                As they walked to Alpha Donovan’s office, Crispin began asking questions, “What exactly is going on here?”

                There were youngsters training all around and people preparing – of all things! – weapons. It seemed as though, at least to Crispin, people were preparing for war.

                “We are getting ready for a battle that is likely to come. Alpha Don will explain more… he values your input greatly, and he has been waiting for you to come for a long while,” Matthew stated.

                The door to the office opened and Alpha Don stepped out. “Alpha Crispin! It’s been such a long time since I’ve seen you last.”

                Crispin bowed his head slightly, in deference to the Alpha whose land he was on. “How have you been, Alpha Donovan?”

                “Just Don, for now, Crispin,” Don said, waving a hand. “Come this way. We won’t be meeting in my office. What you need to see is in the cells below.”

                As they walked, Don explained the events preceding Crispin’s arrival, starting even before he had called Crispin over. Once in the cells below the pack house, Don entered in a key code and the door opened. All the prison cells were empty, save one. This last one was made of a different material and looked new compared to the old, rarely used ones nearby. In that last cell, a young girl with dark hair knelt on the ground, with her large eyes staring innocently up at them.