Fourteen

Peter jumped as the doorbell rung

"Peter, Ned," May called. "Your friend is here".

With the finding of the purple orb and the people who Peter had chased last night turning up at school, combined with the excitement of tracking them. Peter had totally forgot about inviting Emil over to Dinner.

"Friend? What friend? Have you been hiding a secret friend from me Peter?" Ned asked as he got up of the floor and Peter got down from the ceiling.

"It's just Emil. I invited him over for dinner", Peter mumbled.

Ned gasped. "You invited him over for dinner? Go Peter!"

"Ned shut up", Peter whispered as they entered the living room. "What happened to you?" He blurted out upon seeing Emil.

Emil's lip was split and there were two big purple bruises on his cheek and jaw. Emil squirmed in embarrassment, averting his eyes. "Hi Peter, hi Ned", he greeted sheepishly.

"Hey Emil. Why weren't you in school this morning?" Ned asked.

"I was stupid and got hit by a car", Emil admitted sheepishly. "Taxi drivers am I right? Well, I spent the day waiting in A&E".

"Are you okay?" May asked worriedly. "Would you like to borrow an ice pack? Let me see. Where did you get hit?" She steered Emil over to the couch.

Emil winced, "on my back. But it's okay, a doctor has already checked it". That was a lie but they didn't need to know that.

"Nonsense", May tutted, pushing Emil towards the sofa. "Peter will you get the first aid kit please. Emil take your shirt off".

Peter hurried away and returned a moment later with the large first aid kit in his hands.

"Thank you Peter", May took the kit and began rummaging around in the red box for some pain relief cream. "Peter's always injuring himself. He's so clumsy sometimes. Now Emil shirt off".

Emil groaned but allowed Ned and May to gently tug the material over his head. May gasped as she saw the patten of bruises decorating his back. "That looks painful. Where are your parents? Peter told me you live alone. He talks about you a lot actually".

"Aunt May", Peter protested.

Emil laughed, flinching as May started to apply a cream. "Does he? That's nice. My dad is on a business trip at the moment in Africa. He won't be back for a while".

"Well, you're always welcome around here", May offered kindly. Emil turned around and hugged her. May chuckled in surprise and patted him on the back. "Woah, you're welcome. It's not often that Peter has such polite friends".

"What about me?" Ned asked.

"Apart from you Ned", May added.

"Emil where did you get all those scars?" Ned asked curiously, gesturing to the dozens of painful looking white and red marks on his chest. Emil was momentarily grateful that bruises on his back hid the worst ones.

"Oh accidents", he replied nonchalantly. "I was a very wild child". He smiled grimly but did not say more on the matter.

After May had finished treating Emil, they all sat down to eat. It was macaroni and cheese, like Peter had promised. Emil's eyes had lit up and he had devoured his plate in between voicing his praise. They had talked about music, Peter found out Emil's great love for creating art, school; and Emil had gotten into a passionate discussion with Ned about Star Wars and back to the future. Peter had laughed and smiled until his face hurt.
Eventually the meal was finished and Emil had to go.

"It's fine", Emil declined politely. " I can get home just fine. You don't need to walk me".

"Nonsense", May huffed. "Peter at lest walk him to the street".

"No no no, it's fine. I have already troubled you enough", Emil protested. "I'll see you at school Ned, Peter".

Peter waved, "bye Emil", as May closed the door.

"So May", Ned spoke up. "What did you think of Peter's crush?"

"He was a very lovely but lonely boy", May murmured. She sighed. "Peter, I have a feeling that Emil will need you in his life, more than you'll need him".

Peter nodded, eyes still fixed on the door. His mind was whirling as he recalled the night before. Emil's injuries looked surprisingly similar to Boo's. Was it a coincidence? Or was his mind just playing tricks on him?

Unedited