Twenty six

The car ride was tense

The car ride was tense. Emil was sat in between Liz, who was on her phone, and Peter, who was as nervous as hell. Resting his head on Liz's shoulder, Emil pretended to look occupied looking at her phone whilst subtly keeping an eye on Mr Toomes.

"So what are you going to do Pete, Emil?" Mr Toomes asked suddenly making Peter jump.

"What?"

"When you graduate, what are you going to do?" He repeated.

"Don't grill them dad", Liz sighed. She showed Emil a funny cat picture which made him chuckle.

"Um I don't know. I'm only a sophomore", Peter stuttered.

"I'm thinking of going into the family business", Emil informed. "My dad is in Africa working with T'Challa the king of Wakanda. He works as security". Well, not all of that was a lie.

"That's a good plan", Mr Toomes said.

"Peter has an internship with mr Stark", Liz volunteered. Emil wished that she had kept silent.

"Really Mr Stark. What do you do?"

"Um I don't work there anymore", Peter admitted. Emil sat up and shot him a questioning look. "It got kinda boring".

"But you get to met Spider-Man", Liz stated in disbelief. "And Boo".

"Really? Spider-Man. What's he like?" Emil watched Mr Toomes' calculating gaze.

"He's um nice. Nice man. Solid dude", Peter nodded.

"Have I seen you around before?" Mr Toomes suddenly asked. He watched through the mirror. "Because something is familiar, maybe the voice".

"Emil and Peter were at the decathlon with me. And they were at my party", Liz spoke.

"Yeah great party. Lovely house". Emil began to wish that Peter wasn't so awkward.

"You two were like only there for two seconds", Liz stared. Emil really wished that she would stop talking. "You disappeared. Like you always disappear Peter. Like you did in Washington".

"You must have been scared though, in the elevator",  Mr Toomes said. "Especially you Emil. Liz told me that you were the one who almost died. Bet you were glad Spider-Man showed up".

"Emil was the one who shoved me out of the way. He saved me", Liz grinned, giving Emil's arm a squeeze.

"Yeah it was scary", Emil admitted. "But I placed my trust in Spider-Man. I knew he could save me". Peter shot him a shocked look but Emil kept contact with Mr Toomes in the mirror. Softly taking Peter's hand, he linked their fingers together.

"I didn't actually go up. I saw it all from the ground", Peter admitted, turning to look out of  the window. "Pretty lucky that he was there that day".

"Yeah", Liz agreed. "Otherwise Emil would be a pancake right now and I would have to find another GBF".

The tension dissolved slightly as Mr Toomes frowned in confusion. "What's a GBF?l

"Gay best friend", Liz grinned.

Emil groaned as a small smile broke out on Peter's face. "I thought that you agreed to stop calling me that".

"I don't recall", Liz lied and Emil flicked her on the forehead. She giggled and Emil grinned, feeling relieved that the conversation had changed.

They pulled up in front of the school. Lights could be seen through the doors and people could be seen hanging outside.

"Thanks dad", liz chirped, leaning forward to kiss him on the cheek.

"You and Emil just head inside gumdrop", Mr Toomes smiled at them. "I'm going to give Peter the dad talk".

"Don't let him intimidate you Peter", Liz huffed as she opened the door. Emil sent Peter a hopeless look as he reluctantly got out.

Immediately Liz's friends surrounded them, complimenting each other on their outfits and makeup. A few gushed over Emil, cooing about how handsome he looked. Emil forced a smile, obediently returning the compliments as they walked inside.

Eventually Peter joined them in the hall looking panicky. "He knows who I am", he whispered to Emil where Liz couldn't hear. "He's planning something. I know it".

"Shit", Emil swore as they followed Liz into the dance. "I was actually looking forward to going to a normal dance", he sighed.

"Um Liz", Peter spoke up. "I need to talk to Emil for a minute. I'm really sorry". Emil knee that he was not apologising for ditching her, but for the fact that they were going to go and fight her dad.

"I see you've made your choice", Liz grinned at them as Peter blushed. "Go, release me from the prospect of third wheeling".

Emil quickly kissed her on the cheek before allowing Peter to pull him away.

"Details Emil", Liz called and Emil gave her a thumbs up. He wasn't sure what he was going to tell her but he had a feeling that if this went ok then she wouldn't care.

Unedited