Chapter 29

"Come on Eli please keep your little shoes on," I slipped them on and waited a few seconds to see if he would start kicking them off. He finally settled down and decided to not kick them off.

I finished buckling him in the car and got myself adjusted in my seat. Hunter was already pouring himself some wine in the corner. I would take some but one of us needs to be able to take care of Eli.

I adjusted my shirt and relaxed finally. I saw Hunter telling the driver that he could start leaving.

"Maybe you shouldn't drink so much Hunter," I suggested referring to him ignoring the glass now and just drinking straight from the bottle.

"Why would I do that? I'm being taken to a place I don't want to be."

"Oh, hush. Don't be dramatic. Lots of people can recover their relationship with their parents and I think you're lucky to be able to get this chance. Plus I'd like Eli to at least know one set of grandparents."

He nodded and set the wine bottle in the side cup holder.

"Fine, but I needed that. Matthew better is there. He's the only good thing to come from that marriage."

I decided to just keep my mouth shut if I wanted to avoid any long discussions. Hunter and I remained quiet for the rest of the car ride since there wasn't much to discuss.

45 minutes later the car came to a slow stop. I looked out of the window and saw we were pulling up to a familiar place. The house looked the same as it had years ago. Once the car came to a complete stop, I unbuckled Eli and picked him up. I carried him out of the car and waited for Hunter to get out as well.

"You ok?" I asked Hunter just as he was about to knock on the door. He nodded and knocked on it. The door opened a few seconds later revealing Ann. Her eyes lit up when she saw us, well mostly Eli.

"Oh my goodness, is that my grandson?" She asked me with a huge smile. She looked about ready to cry if you ask me. I nodded and turned Eli to face her a little better.

"Eli, say hi," I lifted his tiny hand and waved.

"Hi," Eli said and started waving on his own.

"Oh my gosh, isn't he the cutest thing ever. Please come in," She stepped aside to let us all inside. After closing the door behind us, she went straight back to Eli. "Honey, come out here." We heard a big of mumbled words before Hunter's dad joined everyone else in the foyer. "Look, doesn't he look just like Hunter did when he was his age?"

"Sure," he looked at Eli with a bored expression. Ann hit him and he put a small, probably fake, smile on. "He's cute I guess."

Not too long later Matthew came down the stairs. He looked so much older now even though it's only been a few years.

"Hey Matthew," I said with a smile, to which he returned the smile. Hunter and he had their little brother greeting. Eli just looked like he was happy to be the center of attention.

"Oh, where are my manners. Here I can take your things and we can go sit somewhere more comfortable." Ann held her hands out for anything we had to give her which was just our coats. Hunter's dad had walked off somewhere and I didn't even notice.

About an hour in, Eli was still having the time of his life playing with his grandma. Hunter and Matthew were having their discussion which I would add to now and then. Still, Hunter's father was nowhere to be seen the whole time.

"Ma'am," a small woman was standing in the door frame. "Dinner is ready." Ann nodded and dismissed her. I let Ann pick up Eli and carry him to the dining room. When we all got there, Hunter's dad was sitting at the table already and reading something on his iPad.

"Dear, no electronics at the table," Ann said as she sat Eli down in his high chair. I sat down next to him and then Hunter next to me. Clearly annoyed, he shut the iPad off and handed it to someone. Is the 10 now?

Once everyone got comfortable, the appetizers were set out.

Hopefully, this whole thing goes well.

°EDITED°