Chapter 31

I had taken Hunter to the bathroom to wash his hands off. Ann and Matthew went to another room to be alone.

"Hunter," he grunted. "Did he really...?"

"Yes Bella, I can't believe that fucking bastard." He looked away from me trying to not get all worked up again. I wiped the last bit off and dried his hands off.

I stayed quiet and looked up at him. He noticed I stopped moving and looked down at me.

"Ann should come home with us if she needs to be away from him." He nodded and pulled away from me. He opened the door for the bathroom quickly and walked down the hall to where Mathew and Ann were.

I sighed and went downstairs. I needed to check on Eli. I heard Eli laughing in the living room. When I got there the maid was smiling at him and playing.

"Thank you so much," I said with a small smile. She looked up at me with one as well.

"Oh, it's no problem. Finally, something different to do around here. He is adorable." She handed Eli his toy and stood up.

"That he is," I laughed softly. "Listen I'm not sure how much you or the rest of the staff heard but-"

"We understand completely Ms. Amore. I've already spoken to everyone and sent them home for the night."

"Thank you," I nodded and squat down to Eli. I picked him up and saw the maid leaving the room. I picked up the few toys Eli had laying around and put them in his bag. He looked like he was about ready to pass out.

I wasn't sure when we would be leaving so I went upstairs to find Hunter. Careful not to wake Eli who was slowly drifting off to sleep I knocked on a couple of doors hoping he would be behind one of them.

Finally, the one at the end of the hall opened. It was him.

"Hunter-" he pulled me inside and shut the door behind me. "Did you see him out there?"

"See who?"

"My father."

"No, all the staff went home for the night. I did not see your father the last time I did he was on his bedroom floor."

"Ok good. I sent Matthew and Ann to our house. They left with our car." Confused I looked at him weirdly.

"This is your dad, not some crazy killer. Why are you acting like he's an ax killing murderer?"

"My mom said he bought a gun a few weeks ago."

"Hunter what the fuck are Eli and I doing here still then?!" I whispered annoyed.

"He doesn't know you and him are still here."

"Listen can we just leave. I didn't see him out there at all maybe he fell asleep." Hunter locked the door quietly and lead us away from it. He brought us into the closet and shut the door. He turned the light on.

"Bella, we are going to have to just wait it out. We won't be able to get to the cars in the garage. I don't want to put you two in danger."

"Well, why didn't we go with Ann and Mathew?!"

"Because I didn't know where you two were and I couldn't exactly yell to find you. Just please bear with me. I will keep you two safe. I set up some makeshift beds in here in case he were to get into the room." He pointed to the pile of blankets and pillows in the corner of the closet.

I sighed but decided against arguing with this man. I sat down and laid a sleeping Eli down. He snuggled up in the blankets.
Both Hunter and I sat down.

"Is he really that bad?" Before he could answer we heard a loud crash somewhere in the house and glass shattering. It was muffled but I heard him cursing.

"He's been doing this for a few weeks now. Drinking and getting abusive. I'd go do something if I knew he didn't have a gun. Believe it or not, I'd like to be here to teach my son how to shave."

I nodded and leaned against the wall. Hunter was leaning against the door. I carefully grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around myself.

This is going to be a long night.

A few hours had gone by and let me just say his father is very loud and obnoxious. So far we've heard at least 20 bottles of something hit the floor. Lots of things are being knocked over and pretty sure he shot his gun once.

Hunter and I found some old Uno cards and have been playing that for a bit.

"You didn't say uno pick up a card," I said and motioned to the deck. He rolled his eyes annoyed. I just laughed and placed down my 2+ card. He picked up two more cards.

"You know I think you're cheating somehow. How do you get all of those special cards and I get numbers like 7," he showed me the yellow 7 he picked up. I just laughed. Right after we heard a loud banging on the door to the room. The doorknob twisting.

"I know someone is in there!" He yelled and tried using his body to hit the door down. I went to Eli ready to protect him if he had gotten in. Hunter turned the closet light off and stood up next to the closet's door.

"You better come out or I swear I will shoot you!" We all stayed quiet until he finally decided to walk away. Hunter turned on a flashlight for light instead of the closet one.

"Hunter I want to go home," I said pleadingly. He motioned for me to come over to him. He put his arm around me and kissed my head.

"I know I'm sorry Amore. We'll leave as soon as the sun comes up. Our driver should be back." I nodded and laid my head on his shoulder. Not long after I was out like a light.

...

1 month later

"No way," I said disbelievingly as Ann told another story about Hunter. She nodded and continued her story.

"He was adorable," she smiled at Hunter who looked like he wanted to melt away.

"Please just no more stories," Hunter said.

"Ah alright I've said enough anyway. It's time to get settled into my house. Thank you two for helping me." She stood up to which Hunter and I did the same. We hugged her and said our goodbyes.

"Please call if you need anything, Ann," she smiled and nodded. Hunter and she said their goodbyes and then we both got into the car.

"I hope she's going to be ok," I said as I buckled in.

"Her lawyer is sending the divorce papers to my father. Unfortunately, he bought his way out of any punishment and any news outlets reporting about this."

"Well as long as she isn't trapped with him." The rest of the car ride was quiet but relaxed. It was good to know that everything was going to be ok. Hopefully.

°EDITED°