Chapter 3

"She's such a fucking monster, Grant!" Pearly Ann dramatised. "How do you put up with her?"

A day at a time, I thought.

Ruby Jean had left the pool area minutes ago but Pearly Ann was still dripping and having herself a pity party. She cried in Zane's arms as he held her closely and did his best to comfort her.

"You okay?"

"I'm fine," she sniffled. "I'm not hurt or anything."

"I'm sorry this happened to you. I'll talk to her," Zane offered.

"No the fuck you won't," I yelled at him. "I'll be talking to my girlfriend. Both of you need to mind your own God damn business!"

My rage was hardly directed towards them. I'm not entirely sure why I was mad. I only knew that I was.

I wasn't angry with Ruby Jean either. Sure, shoving her sister in the pool out of spite was a little much but Pearly Ann knows not to antagonise Ruby Jean. Especially when she's not in the best mood.

Ruby Jean had managed to get pretty far when I left our siblings to go find her. I assumed she was back in our room and I wasn't wrong.

When I walked in, my wife-to-be was balled up on the bay seat in the far corner, staring out the window that over looked the city. Her knees were drawn up to her chest as her head rested against them. She clung to her shins to keep her legs in place.

My baby was very disappointed in her own behaviour. I could tell by her withdrawn body language and refusal to look my way as I sat next to her.

"Aren't you going to yell at me?" she asked quietly.

I shook my head as I chuckled. "No, baby. I'm not gonna yell at you. I don't think what you did was entirely out of line. It was extra as hell but she's fine. That's all that matters. You two can make up later."

"Hm. You never take my side when it comes to her."

"I'm always on your side, Mama. Y'know I'm always looking out for you and doing what I can to make sure you're safe and happy. And if that means protecting you from yourself, then that's what I'll do. Today, however, Pearly Ann was wrong and I'd rather you shove her into the pool then say something you'll regret."

"Okay," she mumbled softly. She began tracing the tattoos on the back of my hand that was rested near her foot.

"But you've gotta stop letting her get to you, darling. You're twenty-five years old now. You need to start having more control over your reactions. To her especially."

"You're right," she pouted.

"We have a few hours before the dinner. Wanna go shopping?"

"No. I have plenty of options to wear. Can we go to the aquarium?"

"If that's what you want."

"Without Zane and Pearly Ann."

"Most definitely."

It didn't take us long to get dressed. Ruby Jean slid a multicoloured maxi dress over her bikini. It fit loosely and hid her figure but her perky bust looked amazing with the warm tones laying against her skin.