Chapter 28

The drive home from the fertility clinic was mostly a silent one. While we went in expecting the worse—I did, at least— the news we'd just received was far more unexpected. Rather astonishing and dare I say, gut wrenching.

We were both at a loss for words and were unsure of what was next to come despite the Doctor explaining everything and offering multiple solid recommendations.

Still, we were in shock.

"Baby, say something," my husband insisted as we walked through the door of our bedroom.

"I don't really know what to say."

"I can think of a few things," he grinned.

My own smile stretched across my face in unbridled happiness. "We're gonna be PARENTS!"

"YES THE FUCK WE ARE!" he cheered with me.

Grant picked me up by the waist and crushed me against his hard body. He hugged so tight as he spun me around that I nearly feared for the life of our unborn child.

I laughed so loud that the neighbours were sure to hear but I couldn't help myself. I have never been so excited about anything in my life.

When Grant finally placed me on my feet, I ran to our bed, climbed atop, and started jumping as if it were an outdoor trampoline. "I'm gonna be a Mommy. I'm gonna be a Mommy," I sang loudly. I was more than preen with myself and I felt zero obligation to hide my bragging rights.

"Get your ass down from that God damn bed before you hurt yourself! You know your condition is delicate," he whispered the word.

Out of pure annoyance, I obeyed my husband and stepped down with his unneeded assistance. He was right though. I should be more careful.

"You remember what the doctor said."

"Yeah," I mumbled in shame. "High risk."

"Yes. So please be careful. I can't have you putting yourself in harms way, my Queen. So I'll do what's in your best interest and jump on the bed for you."

Without hesitation, Grant ran to our bed and started hopping about the exact same way as myself only this time he changed up the lyrics. "I'm gonna be a Daddy. I'm gonna be a Daddy."

I stood there, watching him with folded arms and a growing scowl. It was without a doubt the dumbest most ridiculous display of felicity I have ever seen a forty year old man perform. But my husband was happy. So very happy. And I wouldn't dare take this moment away from him the way he so eagerly stole it from me.

It's a good thing our bedroom ceiling was high. Grant's big ass would've gone right through the roof.

I watched him tire himself out and lay back on the bed as I joined him. My head lay against his chest while he held me close.

"Eighteen weeks," he sighed. "Damn. That's crazy. You've been pregnant since April without a single symptom until now. Can you believe we'll be parents before the year is over?

"It's so scary how abrupt all of this is. But I'm thrilled, nonetheless."

"Were gonna be great parents. Our son will have a life like no other. He'll want for nothing and we'll teach him well."

"Our daughter will be beautiful just like her Mother and I'll make sure she's just as secure and confident as myself," I smiled up at him.