Chapter 13

Over the next few days, things between me and Ruby Jean had remained stagnant. Every time I thought we were getting back to normal, she would soon remind me that I'm still being held at arm's length. It was a tease of the worst kind and no matter what I did, I felt like we weren't getting anywhere. Rightfully so, I guess. I deserved whatever scorn she decided to give me but I wasn't too  happy about it either way.

I've tried several times to get her to talk to me about everything but I never got much which I felt was doing more harm than good.

We haven't been married two weeks quite yet and as a married coupled, we've been spending even less time together. I haven't been getting any messages from her throughout the day and she doesn't respond to mine but that hasn't stopped me from trying. I always would despite how hopeless it's made me feel.

It's made it a little difficult for me to focus on work. One and two hour meetings aren't even processing in my head and were it not for Pearly Ann, I wouldn't have any knowledge of what the hell's going on at this firm. I try to keep myself busy with some of the sites. Now that McKellan has agreed to station a foreman here, he would be finalising some of those permanent arrangements and it would eventually speed up production. But being amongst the rubble of demolition and cleared land can only keep my attention for so long before I start thinking of my own discontent.

"What's the matter, boss?" Pearly Ann asked while filing some of my documents. "You've been a little... unfocused, lately. Everything alright?"

I'm usually more than willing to share things with Pearly Ann but this was something even I was too embarrassed to fess up to. "Yeah. Just a lil stressed, I guess." Generic response.

Pearly Ann's thick hair was down in all of its wavy glory. Her curl pattern was a lot looser than Ruby Jean's so her hair fell just right at her mid back. She was dressed as professionally and fashionably as she typically is. Light blue high neck top with pressed collar and high waist khaki bell bottoms. "What can I do to ease your discomfort?"

"I'll be okay. I just may go home early, today."

"It's two in the afternoon. You never leave this early. Something must be really bothering you."

"Yeah, well. That and I have some things I wanna get done around the house too. I mostly just don't wanna be around folks."

"I get that."

"How're things with you and Zane, lately?"

"Umm. We're fine. But I don't wanna talk about him. I've been wanting to ask for a few days now, about the ring box I saw on your dinette table. Did you finally propose?"

Interesting. With how nosey and talkative she usually is, it's a wonder she ain't said something sooner. "Have you told someone that I had?"

"No. I've kept it to myself. I haven't even told Z. I figured if you hadn't told me by now, you more than likely hadn't told anyone and that it was something you were wanting to keep to yourself. So... Have you? And did she say no and that's why you've been so distant?"

I shrugged. "I wouldn't say that's exactly how it went."

"I'm surprised it took you this long to do it. I'm even more surprised you decided to do a private proposal rather than some big extravagant one. With balloons and fireworks—"