Chapter 22

Grant hadn't been sleeping in our home for only a mere two nights but that was two nights away from my husband and I hated it. I hadn't slept for either of them which makes it going on three days since I last had a goodnight's sleep.

Strangely enough, I wasn't as tired or exhausted as I expected be from my insomnia. I was more anxious and in a constant state of agitation. My stomach was in knots, constantly and it was becoming difficult to hide my angst.

Maybe talking to a professional about everything would ease my discontent.

I walked in to the facility and before I fully entered, I heard a dramatic, "COME THROUGH HAIR!"

A black girl stood behind the receptionist desk holding onto a water bottle near a potted plant. "Sis, your hair is everything. And I mean er-thang. Where you get that done at?!"

"Thank you," I smiled politely while tugging at one of my many unravelled knots. "My husband did it just last night, actually."

"M'boy gots mad skill. He do other people hair? Y'know what? Never mind. Bitches keep trynna fight me about they dudes. I get tired of getting my ass beat. What you here for?"

What the fuck? "I have an appointment with a Dorothea Wi—"

"TITI DORTHEA!"

An older black lady, with a deep grey pixie cut, swiftly rounded the corner with a terrifyingly grim expression on her wrinkle free skin. "You got one more time. And I mean it, to be unprofessional like this again and your ass is out of here."

"Sorry Auntie. Yo nine o'clock here. Her hair dope, ain't it?"

"It is very lovely," she answered while examining me behind her thick cat-eye frames. "Come with me, dear."

I followed closely behind the elder woman as she took me to an office room not too far from the lobby.

She opened the door and instructed me to have a seat.

I was very nervous about this. I've never even talked to the guidance counsellors at schools or the ministers at my church so this was certainly a new experience for me.

I did my best to get comfortable on the couch and remain as relaxed as I could force myself to be.

"Mrs. Ruby Jean Augustus?"

"Yes ma'am. Nice to meet you."

"You as well. I'm Dorothea Wilde. Family and Relationship Advisor for this facility. As I mentioned to your husband, this is a safe place for you to freely express how you feel without influence be it negative or positive. So with that being said, I would like you to tell me a little bit about yourself."

"So far I feel like I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. Grant told his side of things first which means you more than likely already have an opinion of me made."

"In my profession, we're expected to remain entirely unbiased."

"What you're expected to do and what you actually do are often times two separate things."

"He said you were combative and stubborn, that's for sure."

"So much for a safe place," I rolled my eyes. "No wonder these appoint were cheap. Are you even licensed?"