Chapter 7

"No. We own a little more than half of that but the rest is apart of an entirely different zoning area and you know we can't do anything with it until we purchase it but the owners are stillbbeing a little difficult to negotiate with."

"What's the offer up to currently?" asked my client on the other end of my cell.

"It's at $70,000 which is way too much for what it's worth, anyways. If Crispin don't accept that, I won't go over eighty. And if it hits that much, you're paying more than the agreed percentage."

"How much more?"

"From sixty to seventy."

"I'm expected to pay close to $60,000 for that worthless piece of land?! What kinda business you running here, Augustus?!"

"Kirkman, it was explained to you exactly how this would go. You signed the agreement and everything. This is the plot of land you begged us to help you get and we said we'd do the best we can. None of this should come as a surprise to you."

The disconnect tone sounded in my ear. I looked down at my screen. "This son of a bitch really hung up on me," I mumbled to myself as I slammed my phone onto the restaurant table. "How can his lil bitch ass whine and complain about the his own arrangement. Fucking ridiculous."

"I talked to Wilmington's assistant about the area," Pearly Ann offered. "He's unwilling to sell, mostly because of sentimental value but she also let me know that he's broke and that's why he keeps holding back for more. She thinks he's trying to get to $100,000."

"Which will never happen as long as I'm the middleman." I cut into my fried pork chop and shoved a corner into my mouth. "What's after lunch?"

"Board meeting in another hour but after that you have to visit four different sites before five."

"And inspect all four in one day?! Why? How in the hell did that happen?"

"Because you kept asking me to reschedule and this is the furthest I could push them back without hitting the deadline."

"Which is?"

"Tomorrow for three of them but why not get them all done at once? I don't mind starting on one or two while you're in the meeting."

"No. I need you to be my ears in that thing. You know I don't be listening. God, why they gotta be so boring?"

"It's only really boring when Dad does it. I don't mind Uncle Luke so much. He's a lot more energetic when he's presenting. You could lighten up when you're giving yours as well," she insisted with a flip of her hair. "Back to the inspections. For the first one, Bradding Street. You'll actually have a state inspector with you so he'll be doing most of the work anyways."

"State inspector? Which one?"

"We haven't worked with this one before. Kelly Jellyfish."

"That is not her real name."

"I said the same," she giggled. "Unfortunately for him, it very much is."

We'd been back from Atlanta a good week now. The photo shoot went alright aside from Ruby Jean screaming at the poor soul who tried to touch her hair, but other than that, it was fine and we were to be featured in the August Issue of the Canterbury Elitist. We hadn't seen the photos yet and were waiting for the touch ups to get emailed to us. It'd been a good five days wait and should be here any day now.

During that time, Ruby Jean and I continued to work our long hours. I would arrive home before six and by the time she got off, I would be up just in time for her to walk through the door.