Chapter 11

"So let me ask you something, man," Isaac started as he road in the passenger seat of my Silverado 1500. "Usually, you and that demoness of a girlfriend of yours are all lovie dovie. Why has she barely looked at you since y'all showed up?"

I gave him one of Ruby Jean's infamous side eyes and returned my focus to the road. "She ain't too happy with me right now. Can't say I'm too happy with myself."

"What'd you do this time?"

"Something bad. I'd rather not talk about it. How's Brisah? Everything good with y'all?"

"Yeah. For the most part. We've kinda been in a rut for about a year now. Things have been serious for about two and neither of us are sure where to really go from there."

"Still ain't met her parents?"

"I have, actually. Not as her boyfriend though. To them, I'm just some man who fixes her car. I think they sensed that I may have been more, but they didn't pursue their inquiries and that I am glad for."

"I'm sorry to hear that, man. I really am. It's a damn shame."

"Nah. From what she's told me about them, I ain't in much of a hurry for formal introductions, myself. Just sure as hell never believed she'd be hiding me this long, though. Remember that time you introduced yourself to Ruby Jean's parents without her knowing?"

"Mhm. Why?"

"Nothing. It was dumb. And I just thought I'd remind you of how dumb it was. Ha!" he chuckled.

I sighed. "And to think I actually missed you."

Now that I work damn near sixty plus hours a week, I don't have much time for anyone outside of my work schedule. If I couldn't find the time to be with my own wife, my best friend sure as hell took a backseat in my life.

Isaac was still working in the garage in spite of wanting to own his own farm. The land he wanted to buy some years ago was sold to someone else and so he started looking into another. Brisah was helping him save up but he eventually stopped accepting her assistance so now his savings are very slowly piling up.

Brisah had just finished up her clinicals two years ago and has been working as a medical assistant at a local clinic.

Isaac still lived with his Dad in the trailer park and Brisah continued to be holed up in some luxury flat. They hadn't taken any major steps in their relationship and with the way it's looking, they may never. They actually took a break that lasted about two months last year.

"What is you and Brisah's long term goals?"

His shoulders raised in uncertainty. "That's a good question. One that I wish I knew the answer to."

"Does Brisah want to get married? Or have children someday?"

"Like most women."

"Does she want that with you?"

"I believe so."

"You haven't asked?"

"We've talked about it once or twice. I think we're on the same page."

"What about you? Do you hope to marry and have kids someday? And is that something you want with Brisah?"

"Definitely."

"Have you told her this?"

"Not in so many words."

"So no. Isaac, you're thirty-nine. We're getting up there in age. Have you seriously not thought long term about you two?"