Chapter 27

This had turned into a lively little dinner party. What I assumed would be a few guests sitting together and sharing a meal became a charming night of entertainment. Amusing stories, one after the other were told and laughs were shouted about the dining area.

Familiarity had already been established with the McKellans and unlike before, they seemed to be on significantly better terms. I'm not sure if it was the upcoming arrival of their new twins that settled their feud but they certainly looked happier than when we last saw them.

Rylan couldn't keep his hands off of his wife and Millie had no trouble receiving every little bit of her husband's attention. It was very sweet and I was glad to learn they were in a better place.

The foreman.  What. A. Fella.

As soon as he walked through the door, my defences went up. It's like God was purposefully fucking with me. First Ruby Jean's ex and now an even more likely prospect to steal her way from me.

This Ghalen Grady....

Another tall strapping black man with good looks, neat hair cut, and swag out the ass. He strutted into my dining room with a confidence that seemingly all black men have and other races of men envy. When he introduced himself, his voice was smooth and his handshake was respectably firm. He complimented my house. He complimented my wife... He was thirty-one. No children. No girlfriend. Nice secure job. Very intelligent and appeared to be of mostly sound mind.

I liked him immediately. But no part of me could see him as anything less a threat.

Ruby Jean did her best to hide her intrigue but I know my wife all too well for her to even try to hide her gaze as she quickly looked him over. More than once, I might add.

Rylan and Millie sat on one side of the table forcing Ruby Jean and Ghalen to sit alongside each other on the opposite side.

Naturally, I was bothered by this. As fuck. I know I can't let every single black man I meet threaten the security within my own relationship or my self-esteem. But the more I watched the very mild and almost irrelevant exchanges between Ruby Jean and Ghalen, the more I had to refrain from flipping over this Oakwood table.

My wife wasn't expending anymore energy to be more appealing or anything like that. She was still being herself. Just barely making conversation with anyone other than Millie. The two of them talked like they'd been friends for years.

At one point though, I did take note of Gahlen glancing at Ruby Jean as he put his wine glass to his lips. If I weren't looking for it, I wouldn't even have noticed it. The others, certainly didn't. But I did. I always do, it seems.

"I'm gonna go grab another bottle," I announced as I stood from my seat and promptly left the room.

I walked into our slightly over cluttered kitchen. Pots and pans Ruby Jean used for dinner were piled up in the sink and cooking ingredients littered the countertops. I reached into the freezer and grabbed a chilled bottle of sweet Stella Rosa. Not our best, but the sweeter ones were really all Ruby Jean could tolerate.

I poured myself a full glass and just as I was putting it to my lips, my beautiful wife walked in making my heavy mood a lot lighter.

Ruby Jean was particularly energetic with very enthusiastic eyes and a warm smile. She bounced over and hugged my waist, staring up at me with an expectation and admiration that I rarely see from her. However, I have definitely been seeing a lot more of it here lately. "Am I playing the role of trophy wife to your satisfaction, dear husband?"