Chapter 20

We sat on the floor of my living room. Pizza boxes, bowls of popcorn, and canned drinks littered the carpeted floor.

"Wow!" River breathed as she stared at me. "Whew! Girl, I really don't know what to say." She held a pint of Private Selection's Double Vanilla in her hand as she spoon fed herself the sugar. "I can't believe he would do something like that."

"Why can't you?" Dax questioned with amusement as he rocked his sleeping infant in his arms. "That sounds exactly like something he would do. Ole boy ain't never had any damn sense when it came to RJ so yeah. I am no where near in as much disbelief as the rest of you."

I'd just recanted the details of me and G beginning with the forced marriage and ending with my dinner with J'Marion. I didn't leave out too many specifics and if I did, it was in no way intentional. I told them of Grant marrying me, how I responded, J'Marion coming into town, running into J'Marion at the gym, deciding to meet him later that night, how the dinner played out, what happened when I arrived home, how Grant fucked me senseless, the morning after, his deciding to leave and here we are.

River huffed. "I can't believe you cheated on him."

"Cheated?!" me and Brisah said in unison.

"That's hardly cheating," Brisah surprisingly defended me. "She didn't do anything wrong. It was only dinner."

"Thank you, Brisah," I said. "Y'know, I've always liked you."

"So if Grant or Isaac went out to dinner with another woman, you'd be perfectly fine with that?"

"I'm secure enough in my relationship with Isaac to know if he said he was meeting another woman for dinner and it was just the two of them as friends catching up, then I have no reason to distrust him."

"I can say the same. Grant's a lot of things, but he's never been disloyal to me. I trust his goofy ass around other women for sure."

"Mm. I guess I trust Dax, too. What if it was Grant's ex?"

"He doesn't have any. But if he did, yeah," I shrugged. "I would probably be fine with that."

"That's great, I guess. But Grant obviously isn't as secure in your relationship as you are. He flipped out because he saw you with someone who he felt better suited you and it scared him. He was probably terrified that you would actually leave him."

"Yeah. I know."

"And let it be well known," Dax intercepted. "That emotional cheating is still cheating. Sometimes it's even considered worse."

"Bullshit!" I snapped back. "But I'll let you explain anyways."

"Emotional cheating is basically defined as crossing the boundaries of what a friendship is and allowing yourself to develop romantic or sexual feelings for someone who is not your significant other."

"Cool. By that definition, I'm not a cheater. There were no romantic or sexual feelings in development on my part—"

"But you were there to see if that could happen. And if it did, then what?"

I shrugged again. "I don't know. I'm certain I wouldn't have left Grant, either way."

"I agree," Brisah added. "She made it clear from the beginning with her ex that she and G were staying together and that their dinner was nothing more than a catch up. If J'Marion misunderstood things, then that's on him."

"But what she said versus what she was doing are two different things. And my thing is," Dax started. "Who needs to 'catch up' with their ex? What for? For why? What's the reason for that?"