Chapter 16

Grant would burst a blood vessel if he found out that I was having dinner with another man and while I knew he wouldn't too much appreciate it, I thought it perfectly fair to do exactly what he's been doing since we've been together.

Whatever the fuck it is he wants to.

The shame had been eating away at me since I arrived home, earlier that evening. Grant silently watching me. Undressing me with his eyes, completely oblivious of my true intentions. The longer he stared at me, the more uncomfortable I became.

I hardly even understood the remorse. I wasn't cheating on him and I was honest from the beginning.

Ignoring every guilty fibre within my soul, I took a deep breath and finally pulled the lever to exit my driver's seat.

I'd been sitting in the parking lot of Riyjun's Temple for a good ten minutes, working up the courage to do something I knew was beyond wrong and too humiliating to even try to defend if he were to find out.

J'Marion was already inside. I knew this because I watched his car pull in to a park near the entrance. He got out, swaggering head to toe in a black and red floral print button down, slim fit black slacks, and black Doc Martens. He rushed to the door and held it open as two elderly women walked through and thanked him graciously.

How sweet, I thought to myself at the time.

With one more reassuring breath, my high heels landed on the concrete and was sounding loudly as I sashayed towards the restaurant.

My hands were almost shaking as I opened the door and was welcomed by endless scents and noisiness. The establishment was very nice but like always, despite its grandness, there were many who were dressed disgustingly in casual attire and work clothes. Class, nowadays, is disappointingly nonexistent.

I didn't wait to be seated, since I could spot Toast's lone attractiveness from across the room. He was by himself in an intimate booth in the very back corner.

I made my way through the crowded area as many eyes followed, as they typically do.

He sensed my presence before I arrived and greeted me with an enormous smile. "Ruby Jean," he said my name slow and full of enticement. "You made it. I was hoping you would." Toast stood and wasted no time going in for a hug. His heavy arms circled my waist and drew me to him, gently.

I responded in kind. My arms embracing him with just as much keenness.

His cologne hit me like a very welcomed ton of bricks. It was earthy with a light spice to it. I had to force myself not to lick his neck.

"You smell nice," he said into my ear, beating me to the punch.

"I was gonna say the same about you."

"You look beautiful, as well."

"I am aware."

"Damn. Ain't much changed, has it?" he laughed.

"Thank you," I said begrudgingly.

We each took a seat on separate sides of the booth. Two complementary waters were already on the table along with two menus. There were curtains that made the area a tad bit more discreet but we were in no need of that whatsoever.

"I'm really glad you came, RJ. I was worried you wouldn't."

"Judging by the table setting, it looks like you knew I would show up."

"This," he gestured towards the table. "was my faith laid out before me. What changed your mind?"

"I had all day to think about it. I realised that I really enjoyed our talk earlier and that I wouldn't be entirely opposed to another sit down with you. It was fun."