Chapter 16

Zameer stood still, his heart pounding in his chest as the moment of truth arrived.

Shehryaar stood by, his eyes on the computer. Qadeem was by his side and Zameer was told to stand opposite to his superiors.

Zameer was confident that tonight was the night of his victory. He will finally gain back the position that he had lost and most of all, he would gain back Shehryaar's trust.

He felt good. More then good, he felt great.

"What are you anticipating?" Qadeem spoke, his face straight yet his eyes were mocking Zameer.

Zameer folded his arms on his chest as a half smirk stretched on his lips.

"We'll know soon enough." He replied. Qadeem snorted and looked at Shehryaar.

"Boss?"

Shehryaar didn't bother saying anything, his eyes zoning out. Zameer looked at his Saeen and knew that Shehryaar was just too distracted to care. All he was waiting for was the results and Zameer knew that he just wanted to be done with it.

"This had better been worth all the trouble." Shehryaar grumbled under his breath.

It will be. Zameer thought positively.

The three men went rigid when the computer beeped. Qadeem was the first to move, snapping his fingers in silent orders to the men in charge of the machines.

Zameer's breath got caught in his throat.

The air became thick with anticipation.

All eyes were on the large screen and when the message was typed, Zameer's eyes widened as he froze in shock when he saw the message.

'PAKISTAN MILITARY WILL NO LONGER NEGOTIATE.'

No one moved. No one spoke.

Zameer's eyes stayed glued to the screen, his mind trying to process the situation.

He couldn't bring himself to accept it.

Defeat was slapped right on his face but he wasn't accepting it.

Defeat was unknown to him. But for the first time, he was left totally and utterly defeated.

He lost.

He lost what he wanted so badly.

And now he knew, he couldn't get it back.

It was the sound of Shehryaar's hands clapping loudly that brought Zameer out of his trance.

"Well, this was a waste." Shehryaar commented as he stood straight and looked at Zameer with his cold grey eyes.

"And here you've failed me yet again, Zameer."

Zameer couldn't help the shivers that ran down his spine. If it was anyone else, Shehryaar wouldn't even hesitate to kill them off for their failure, but this was Zameer.

"I can," he paused to clear his throat as he willed himself into composure. "I can get this under control."

"Can you?" Shehryaar mocked, his voice cold as ice.

Zameer stared at Shehryaar. And he realised his position. And when he saw the disappointment and the cold bitterness in his Saeen's eyes, he had no choice but to accept what had come to pass.

Suddenly, anger exploded in his chest. All of his attention went to the person responsible.

Sadia.

It was her. She was responsible for this. If she had just done what was required of her and hadn't interfered then things would've worked in his favor and he would've gotten what he wanted.