Chapter 28

Sadia ran.

She had no idea in which direction she was heading but all that she knew was that she needed to run.

Her legs were almost giving out. She had been running for so long. Her chest was heaving, her breathing was heavy but she kept going.

It was dark. The woods were an unknown territory and she had no idea about the structure of the area but her instincts guided her and all she knew was to run.

Adrenaline pumped in her veins, making her blood course through her muscles and enabled them to carry her as she ran. But her legs were burning and aching from so much running.

The leaves crunched under her feet and the twigs broke. That was the only sound that could somehow reach her ears amidst the loud ringing and roaring of blood. Her heart was hammering and her lungs were burnt out but she didn't stop.

Home. Reach for home. Get out of here! Sadia kept shouting at herself to motivate herself to run further.

"SADIA!"

A voice echoed loudly and broke through the thick silence of the woods.

Sadia's Feet came to a halt. For a moment, she thought that in her fear, she must've misheard it. That she must be hearing voices. Fear is a strong emotion. It can often lead to many misinterpretations.

Sadia's heart was hammering against her chest. Her lungs were burning for air. She was panting. And the ringing in her ears wasn't helping either. All her sympathetic activity was enabling her to be in hyperactive mode.

"SADIA?!"

Again, that voice. That deep loud voice. And it was in a rage. And it wasn't far.

Cold chilling terror seeped through her bones as realisation hit her.

"SADIA?!!!"

Sadia thought that her heart almost stopped when she heard how close the proximity of the voice was.

He was following her.

He was chasing her.

She had thought that he wouldn't be able to. Not after how she had left him behind. She was positive that he wouldn't be in any condition to get back on his feet yet alone chase her around the woods.

"SADIA"

She started hearing loud barking sounds as well.

And her fear struck her so hard that she willed herself to run again. She had to get away. She looked at the sky. The early signs of a clear morning were evident. If she could just make it somehow out of the woods. But it seemed endless.

She was so fixated on running away from the enemy that she didn't realise the long roots that caught her foot, causing her ankle to twist painfully which caused her to scream in pain, making her fall flat on her stomach. Her head hit on the hard surface of the tree roots and caused her to almost blackout.

Moaning in pain, she laid on her back and grabbed her head and pursed her lips tight to keep in her painfilled moans. She felt warm liquid trickle from her forehead and she knew that she was bleeding. It was painful but she had no choice but to endure it.

"Sadia!"

Silent tears leaked from her eyes and she held her breath as the sound of the enemy approaching her came near. The fear overwhelmed her. She clasped her fingers tightly around her mouth and tried her level best to keep silent.

"Sadia! Come out!"

Just then, she heard the loud bang of a gun fire. And it caused Sadia to freeze in fear. The sound of the crowd and the earth shaking from it was so near now. She saw beams of flashlight amidst the darkness and her chest tightened with fear and dread.