Rejection and Rogues - Chapter 1: Mate

I hissed in pain as the disinfectant sent my wound into overdrive. The stinging pain made me want to knock myself out, just to escape it. I grimaced at the sight of my fresh cut; it was deep and would surely leave a scar. Just because I spilled a little bit of water on the alpha's son's shirt, his girlfriend decided that I needed to be taught a lesson. I don't really know why Karmen hates me so much. Before I turned sixteen, she didn't really notice me. It's a mystery to me.

I stuffed a pair of clean socks into my mouth and clasped my hands around my ankle. With a quick twist, I was writhing in pain on the ground. I may be a werewolf and heal quickly, but that didn't mean that the wounds and bruises were any less painful. Taking the socks out of my mouth, I limped towards my bed. The socks had holes from where I bit them. I didn't exactly contain my strength when I was fixing my ankle.

Sighing, I sat down, carefully placing my swollen ankle on a chair in front of me. I wasn't hated before. Ever since my dad married Chantel, my life has gone down hill. Chantel was a thirty two year old woman, who despised me. She says it's because I'm the only thing standing between her and my fathers money. In his will, all of his money and possessions go to me. I suppose her gold digging plans went down the drain when she read it. Along with Chantel came Karmen, Chantel's seventeen year old daughter. Karmen hated me to the bone, believing that I'd steal her boyfriend from her. I don't understand why she'd doubt his faithfulness though.

Karmen was tall and slim; her beauty only marred by her personality. She had long healthy chocolate brown hair and icy blue eyes to match. She had the body of a super model and didn't hesitate to show it off.

Karmen's boyfriend, Blake Wood, was also very goodlooking. He was what I imagined my prince charming would look like. Long luscious black hair and obsidian eyes. His body was mouthwatering too, but I suppose all werewolves were like that. Blake stood tall, exceeding six feet. He had to be considering he was soon-to-be alpha. Unlike Karmen, Blake was nice and tried to be considerate towards others. I guess it's true, opposites do attract.

My heart squeezed at the thought of them together. I hated how inlove I was with the alpha's son, but I couldn't help it. It was like I was meant to fall inlove with him. Luckily for me, my eighteenth birthday is tomorrow.

When a werewolf turns eighteen, they become of age to find their mate; their other half. I suppose a mate to a man is their 'missing rib'. If you read Adam and Eve, you'd understand what I'm talking about. For my whole life, I have dreamt of having a mate to look after me and love me. The downside is I always thought of Blake as being my mate. I guess I am a loser after all.

Exhaling, I lowered myself onto my bed and shut my eyes. Dreaming was my only escape. The only place where I could feel completely happy and at peace. It was the only place where Karmen and Chantel didn't exist.

"Here's your breakfast." I mumbled, placing the tray of salad in front of Karmen. She looked at me disgusted before picking up her fork and digging in. At least she appreciated my cooking. Just as I was about to shuffle away, Karmen's hand shot up and wrapped itself around my neck.

"What is this?" She growled, stabbing her fork into a piece of chicken in the corner of her plate.

"It's chicken, Karmen. I thought that salad wouldn't be filling enough for you, so I added some meat." I said, stuttering slightly.

"Meat?" She screamed, "You're trying to get me fat aren't you, you jealous mutt!"

I was about to answer, but her hand cut me off. The slap echoed through the room, leaving a deadly silence. The pack members only stared, not daring to go against the next alpha female.