7. step by step

So from now on most of this story is going to be in Nova's point of view. I just thought that it was better if the first few chapters were in no ones point of view so yeah. I'm sorry if it causes confusion. I'm also going to write in present tense in stead of past so I'm sorry bout that to if it's confusing. Hope you enjoy!!!

I'm sitting in the dark corner of my cell when I hear footsteps approach me. My body still hurts. Everything does. There's a big bruise forming on my shoulder and I wince slightly as I crawl even closer into the corner. I try to make myself small. To hide from him. It doesn't work though and before I know it I'm being dragged out again. It's worse than usually. He hits me really hard in my belly and I feel something crack. Some kind of liquid fills my mouth and I spit it out. It's blood and it got all over his boots. He yells at me and hits me even harder. I cry and yell at him to stop. He doesn't. His fist is coming down and is about to hit my face when big hands grab my arms and shake me awake. I feel trapped and scream for them to let me go. That's when I hear his voice.

"Nova. Hey, calm down. It's alright it's just a bad dream. Try to breath. Come on with me." I open my eyes that are streaming with tears and see Tony's worried face hang over me. He is taking deep breaths and I try to follow his actions. My breath becomes normal again and I try to wipe my tears away, but when I reach up pain shoots trough my back and I start crying again. I try to move but it hurts to much. Tony looks around himself a little lost. Then Pepper comes to sit next to me. She runs her fingers through my hair and whispers to me to calm me down.

"What's wrong sweetie?"

"M-my back h-hurts."

I try to say between sobs. She frowns a little. "That's fast. The painkillers should work until tomorrow." She searches for some things in a little file they got from the hospital. I look up at Tony, he's looking at me too. We make eye contact and he carefully bends over me to wipe my tears away. I feel myself calm down when he touches me. I think he noticed because he keeps stroking my hair after that.

After a moment Pepper speaks up again. "Nova, can you tell me what hurt a little more specifically?"
"M-my spine. But not any m-more. It w-was a burning that, ehm, went up to- to my neck"

She looks at me a little surprised and asks, "Really?"

Tony's hand stops stroking my hair as he looks up at her with a worried look on his face. "What does that mean?"
Pepper looks down at the file and reads out loud "She might experience a short, painful, burning sensation in her spine. This is completely normal and it's a sign that she should be able to walk again."

Tony's expression changes to confused. "But didn't the doctor say that would probably take more than a week?"

Pepper nods.

"It's only been half a week."

She nods again.

Then they both look at me.
"D'you wanna try?" Tony asks me. I nod. I want to walk again, but I'm scared I'll fall over. Tony takes my hand in his and carefully helps me up. And then I'm standing. I'm actually standing!

"You good?"

I nod as I hold on tightly to his hands.

"Let's try to take a few steps."

I take a deep breath and try to move my foot. I'm still very sore and the effort hurts my muscles, but I did it. Then I do another, and another. I'm still putting most of my weight on Tony, afraid I might fall over. He helps me stand a little more upright and carefully loosens his grip a little bit. He looks in my eyes and gives me a little, reassuring nod.

I try again, this time with hardly any support. And I do it again. I take a few more steps before carefully letting Tony go. He moves behind me and goes with me so he can catch me if I fall. The steps are slow and small and a little unstable, but I'm doing it and I couldn't be happier.

Ones it was going a bit better Tony let me walk alone. I can't lift my legs hight enough yet to actually walk up stairs and I think I'd fall if I tried walking down one. But the floor I'm on is huge and I just walk around the couches and table.

Pepper is making dinner while Tony is watching as I run around. At some point I trip over something and before I know it I'm spread out on the floor.
I turn to lay on my back as I begin to worry. What are they gonna do now? Is he mad? Why do I always ruin everything?

"Nova, you good?"
Wait. He asks if I'm good. But... I fell....
"I went to fast a- and I fell. I'm s- sorry I didn't mean to."

"Hey, you don't have to apologize. That happens you know." He slowly walks over to me. I try to get up, but my muscles are still sore and my ribs hurt. The man broke my arm a few weeks ago, but the doctor said it healed pretty good. But it still hurts, and the cast around it isn't helping.

"Tony? I can't get up."
The worried looked is pretty soon replaced by a smile. He helps me stand up. It hurts a lot. But I try not to let that show. They are so nice to me and I don't want to make them feel bad. I'm pretty tired from the running. Pepper said I had been running around for almost an hour. She made something to eat so I sat down on the couch with my plate. I start to eat it and delicious flavors fill my mouth. I'm not used to warm food. I only had it in the hospital. But this is so much better. "Do you like it Nova?" Pepper asks. I nod and give her a quick smile while I try to get rid of a sticky string of cheese that's covering my face. She chuckles a little as I continue to eat.

We finished eating the so called 'Mac and cheese' and now Pepper and Tony are talking about an arch director or something like that. But it's pretty boring and I don't understand so I just tune out.

I walk around for a bit. I feel myself get tired and a few moment later I walk into the table. I rub the place on my elbow that hit the small coffee table. I climb onto the couch, which was painful and even more exhausting, And look around a bit. Through the big windows I see the sun setting as lights turn on all over the city. After a moment of looking around my eyes start to feel heavy. I yawn and when Pepper sees it, she gets up, slightly smiling, and sits down next to me. "You can close your eyes for a bit. Tony will bring you to bed in a minute. I nod tiredly and settle in the couch. Not two minutes later I'm asleep again while Tony and Pepper continue with their work.

As promised, here's another chapter! I don't really like this one a lot. But I just felt like it was necessary for the story to have it here so yeah. Hope you enjoyed it anyways.